Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carbon fiber or aluminum hard tops update post 9

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rdn2blazer, May 6, 2005.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

how expensive do ya think carbon fiber would be? just for kicks I called Marcell's, the people that did boydes alumatub roadster and enquired about a aluminum top for a 73', and that my top could be the sample. they said they could do it but unless you are doing a 200,000 show truck it would not be worth it. they said it would be in the 10,000 to 15,000 doller range. and with off roading and the flex it would probably crack the welds after a while. how bitchin would a carbon fiber top be though. super light ,easy to remove.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude, you live in california... ditch the top permenently and run a $50 home made bikini top already.

j

3. rdn2blazer

jek, no need to be bitter cause it rains there so often :D , I just think a top like that would be cool, thats all.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  4. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL 1/2 ton status

i do import tuning as well and a full carbon roof for an s2000 is bout 5 grand u.s...and its pretty small!

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

cali gets mad rain..... gets real hot in the summer but last winter was a B!tch.

6. matto

matto Registered Member

i dont think its worth it. carbon fiber is very light and super strong, but it shatters if you hit it hard enough. then you would have to replace and that is not worth it. but it would be AWSOME.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol, and my rig is still topless/doorless/gateless. :grin:

in a bling sort of way I guess... of course if it ever got bashed offroading (or in a car accident on road) you'd be crying your eyes out, especially when the insurance company doesn't pay for it. ;)

j

8. rooferbret

rooferbret 1/2 ton status

You could allways do a carbon fiber overlay for the look.
    Would be different and kind of cool. :D

9. rdn2blazer

Am I insane or what?!?!

So I inquired about a CF top at a company and was quoted what I think is a decent price, aprox $2500 to 3k. They seem very interested in doing it! I said it's never been done to my knowledge. I have asked more questions which I'm waiting for an answer on but it's something I'm going to consider. The top would be CF with Kevlar lined interior surface. Would have factory windshield seal shape to run a factory seal. Rear door is up in the air since I'm running a pickup truck tail gate. We are discussing the design feature of the rear door now. I want to run scratch proof SpeedGlass in the side & rear door window. It would weigh in the neighborhood of 25 to 50lbs aprox. depending on if it was ribbed and double walled like the factory top or not and how much the SpeedGlass weighs ofcourse. :D

10. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm going to vote on the insane part, :D but that would be a way cool thing to build, if the price was a bit cheaper maybe market, a 50 lb top would be cool

11. howdiy

howdiy 1/2 ton status

The top is going to cost more than the average blazer

12. 75GmcJimmy4x4

75GmcJimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

yeah and with a top that light you could use some type of quick release clips for a 3-5 min removal time

13. DR

DR 1/2 ton status

Id say the only reason cost should be a factor is if you can afford it or not. Plenty of people spend more than that on rims for cars that are worth less and give no plus other than a look. Hell, usually it makes it ride worse and damage parts more often. Around here there is about a hundred mid 80s monte carlo / cutlass style cars with 22 or 24 inch rims that cost tons. So I say if you can afford it, why not!? It will without a doubt be cool as hell and very unique.

14. rdn2blazer

THANK YOU. I can afford it kinda. Atleast I'm willing to work the extra OT to get it done. I'm not doing it to be different or for the bling or ANY of that. I could care less about that crap. I want it for the light weight and ease of removal. I HATE relying on people for help. It irratates the hell out of me. It would be different and one of a kind no doubt. It would be WAY WAY easier to remove by myself. Hell I would probably have it painted to match the color of my truck when all is said and done.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  15. rdn2blazer

I just talked with the guy on the phone about some of the design and build ideas. I think I am going to do this. Need to save some money. He said it will be more then strong enough to stand on. Should not be a problem to build. Will take about 3 to 4 weeks once he has the original 73' hard top for a pattern. I need to take and send him pics of the top. I also need to smooth out the top and primer it. He said the smoother it is and the less he has to do on it to clean it up the better the Carbon Fiber finish will come out.

16. cuervo

cuervo Wears Boob Goggles! Premium Member

I'm sure he is going to use your old top to make a plug/mold for the new one.

I'm kind of interested to see how this turns out as I'm done some CF work in the past.

Goodluck to you on this.

17. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright, rdn2money-bags. Will you work a tad more overtime and buy me one of them nifty new Softtopper lids for my '72? I'll PM you my shipping addy. Standby.:doah:

18. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Out of curiosity, did you talk with anyone about making a lighter weight fiberglass top? Are you using glass windows or polycarbonate ones?

19. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need to shed some weight from my rig. I want to see how this turns out.

20. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

The glass alone on the stock tops weigh a lot.