Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carbon Fiber...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

ok so today i was told that gm toyed with carbon fiber driveshafts in trucks in the 80s at some time..thats all the specifics i got...anybody know anything about this? other than that it obviously failed as an idea.. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Confedneck

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Haven't heard of them fro trucks. Have heard of AL shafts, but thats it.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

never heard of one in a truck. Definetally never heard of one from GM direct. I know you can get them for cars.

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

i'm thinking it was a steel tube with a carbon fiber tube over it for added strength, drag cars use carbon fiber tubes over there drive shafts to hold them together if they fail... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I've seen some all carbon fiber, filliment wound driveshafts made by GKN. They way nothing! Why would you want a light driveshaft on a truck with 600# of rotating weight?

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The new Nissan 350Zs have a carbon fiber driveshaft. But never heard of a GM truck with one.

8. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

This guy down the street Brains60S used to be a ck5 member but I dont think he comes on much. Anyways He has a carbon fiber drive shaft. Its aluminum tube with carbon fiber wrap.

9. Confedneck

there are spun carbon fiber driveshafts rated to 5,000 ft lbs...carbon fiber only, so i guess nobodies ever seen one on a factory gm vehicle eh?

10. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i was told by my professors at UMD that they did indeed have a carbon wrapped driveshaft in a very small number of the early 90s 2500 trucks. we were looking for a lightweight driveshaft for a project truck, and he told me what to look for....but i never found one, if they are out there i'd like to see one!
    we ended up making our own pure carbon driveshaft, it tested 3 times the strength of the stock driveshaft, and it was a lot lighter. i dont think i'd trust one if i knew it were going to be hitting some rocks though...

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

every Z71 i have seen roll from the factory has had carbon fiber wrapped around the driveshaft...or maybe it was plastic. all i know is, don't remove the junk. it will make a horrible whining noise afterwards.

12. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

yeah the fiber adds a lot of strength to the driveshaft, as well as balancing it out...when we took the one we made to get balanced the guy just laughed, he said his lightest weight was about 10 times too heavy, he'd never seen such a perfectly balanced driveshaft....we ran it on a 2000 suburban, only problem we ran into was that it was a little thicker tube than the stock, and we came close to hitting the exhaust when it was up on the lift. we only made a front since we needed maximum clearance in the back.