Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carbon Metallic Brake Pads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Smitty, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to carbon metallic brake pads? Need to replace brake pads and shoes on a vehicle that does a bit of towing and would like to replace them with something that will give the best stopping power possible.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not real shure which ones the carbon metallics are but the more metal in the pad the longer they last but they are very hard on the rotors and make an annoying squeal. I hate mine! I am going to go with ceramic pads next time around.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

YES, they tend not to squeel, the can tollerate the highe temperatures and give better braking ability. Some people say they wear out the rotors faster, but i have never had any problems with this, I only use these pads on all my vehicles. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

They will work good for a towing vehicle, just don't use the full on ceramic pads, those need to be at high temperature for optimal working performance.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Find out as much as you can about the particular brand and model before you install them. Some of the metallic pads work great when they're hot, but require a LOT more pedal pressure when cold. So that first stop at an intersection each morning could require more stopping distance than you're used to. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Never had that type of problem with the pads i have installed, i got mine at Autozone. Lifetime warranty, never have to buy another set. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif They work great. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I think I'll put them on the wife's car first....

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I use nothing but the Bendix semi-metallics, and they've always been the shiznit for me. I can lock all four and skid the K5 and throw occupants through the windshield (or make indents in them the shape of the harnesses /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) so I say they work fine!

-- A

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I only use name brand brake pads myself. I have Raybestos on my truck now, semi metallics for me.

If your rotors are straight and you use shimmed pads you will not have squeeling.

The post above about some pads requring heat to work is absolutely correct. We sell "fleet" pads at my work for this exact purpose, trucks that are under heavy load all the time.

9. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I only use name brand brake pads myself. I have Raybestos on my truck now, semi metallics for me.

If your rotors are straight and you use shimmed pads you will not have squeeling.

The post above about some pads requring heat to work is absolutely correct. We sell "fleet" pads at my work for this exact purpose, trucks that are under heavy load all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]what you said, name brand only (quality problems with the no names) /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

my brakes where squealing very very bad.so my dad took the sub to mechanic shop to fix the breaks the passanger side rotor was toast it had the metallic pads.

11. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I have had very good luck with the Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads. I run them on the Blazer, Firehawk, Elcamino and Motorhome. Seem to work very well when hot.

12. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I have noticed that they don't Squeal as bad when they get hot.

13. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just bought a set of Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads for my 1-Ton. Only because they where the cheapest set of Carbon Metallic pads I could find. I got them from Autozone for $40. All I can say is, "new brakes of any kind are better than old worn out brakes."

14. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

very true. but after awhile when they start squealing real bad it will drive you crazy. I know it did to me I didn't want to drive the truck cause of that /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

15. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Were your pads from PFC?

16. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I have the z-rated pads on the Blazer and the ElCamino and the standard ones on the firehawk. The z-rated pads dont feel real good when they're cold. Kinda have to push pretty hard, but ill tell you, they come on pretty good when they get warm to hot. I have run my ELCamino thru some of the mountain canyons around here to where them brakes were smokin hot and they still worked good. Thats why I choose to put PF pads on the blazer and motorhome.

17. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Raybestos "Super Stops" where my favorite brake pads, but I think Raybestos discontinued them in favor of "Pro Stops".

18. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Napa Severe Duty and Napa Ceramic brakes. I have the SD on the the front and the Ceramics in the rear on the 14bff with disc. The D60 that is going in has the Ceramics too...I really like these pads...I have put them on a number of vehicles...both mine and my friends' and they are great. much less dust better stopping power when hot and they last much longer...

Chris

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Napa's brakes are Raybestos aren't they?

I will not use brake pads from any company but Wagner, Bendix, or Raybestos.

20. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

United, which is the brake division of Dana, makes the Napa brakes...

Only problem I have ever had with Napa brakes was a rotor that warped with in 10,000 miles but it was warrantied and all is still good

Chris