Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carbon on spark plug

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rafterman191, Oct 24, 2006.

1. rafterman191

rafterman191 Registered Member

305 SB, getting carbon building up in #7 cylinder. Just did a head gasket job and when we pulled the heads, #7 was caked. Put about 1500 miles on it since then, checked the plugs while changing valve seals yesterday and plug in #7 was getting built up on again. I guess I will check it again in a week or so. Does this sound like a valve problem? I readjusted the valves after doing the valve seals, hoping it will improve.

2. scooter122983

scooter122983 1/2 ton status

when you did the head gasket did you do the plugs, wires, distributor cap or do a compression test. If not check those possible problems they can all lead to a carbon buildup due to loss of compression or bad ignition. Check these when you do the valve seals.

3. rafterman191

rafterman191 Registered Member

Scooter, thanks for replying. The plugs, cap, rotor, and wires were all changed when the heads were done. The guy I worked with said he did a compression check and they were good. That was actually my next step after I do all the valve seals (check the compression again). Got half of them done, hopefully I will get to the other half in the next day or two.