Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carboretur Help! 383 Stroker...Holley 700/750 or Avenger 770. Which one?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MuddinManny, Nov 22, 2006.

1. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Y'all,

Great news! My 383 stroker is going on the Dyno Friday! Wahoo! The builder has promised me a minimum of 500 HP and 425 Ft/lbs of torque. I'm so excited! As great as this all may be, I have a slight problem that may arise.

The carb I had on my 350 was a Holley 4Barrel rated between 600-700 cfm. I don't exactly know how much, I can't remember. All the paperwork is in the rig. I have spoken to the builder, and he's not sure if the Holley I have will be enough. I may need to be in the 700's. He will Dyno with mine, and then Dyno with a bigger carb to see what the readings are. If I need to move up in cfm's, do I go to the 700, 750 or do I sport now for the Truck Avenger 770? 383 owner please speak out! All you 350 and up dudes too! I really need input. I know absolutely little about carbs for Chevy's. Please help as I may need to order immediately. I will know more on Friday!

Thanks!

Manny

Happy Thanksgiving!

2. onebig76k5

onebig76k5 Registered Member

That's substantial HP. I've had my balanced and Blue Printed 383 running a modified rochester quad, for about 3 weeks no problem. Mine dyno'd at around 400HP and I have top of the line rotating assembly, heads, lifters etc. Don't know why your lower CFM wouldn't work.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Mine has a 750 CFM Q-jet.

434 HP and 470 ft. lbs.

Tuned by me, running at angles is the #1 priority for me.

Holley/Edelbrock carbs are easier to tune but will not get the same mileage or run as well offroad.

4. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

I would get the numbers off of the top of your carb and see what you have before you decide to spend some money. How big of cam? Single plane or Dual plane intake? What is going to be the max RPM your going to turn? All that will help pick the right carb too. When you get the numbers off of the carb you can match them to the part numbers in a Summit catalog to see what you have now.