Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carbs and exhaust?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88-3/4t-bad boy, Sep 29, 2006.

1. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

ok so i want to get a good carburator for my suburban. i was wondering which ones yall thought were the best. ive seen alot about how the holley truck avengers actually do flood alot. is this true? and i need to know where to order one and if my 88 3/4 ton sub is a r20, v20, c20? i think its a v20 but any help would be nice. Also, i saw some really sweet diamond plate mufflers but i forgot what brand they were. and if anyone would suggest a certain type of muffler.

2. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Im running the Holley Truck Avenger on my Blazer. I have the 670cfm on my 305. Its jus a tad too much, ive had to tune it down and lean it up some. I used a vacuum gauge to tune it and it runs really good.

I had to lower the float bowls some to keep it from starving on any kinda incline. Other than that, its a good carb. The electric choke works well and the adjustments for Idle and air/fuel are pretty simple.

I dont have much carb experience other than with this.

Those muffs are Flowmasters (I believe) new off road design, from what I gather they are heavy as ****. they are like 1/4 diam plate steel or more.

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am running the truck avenger. the only problems I have had were initially I had to mess with the electric choke. it did not adjust enough. It wants to stall on very hard declines. you gotta have the nose pointed almost straight down to do it. otherwise its great.

4. 88-3/4t-bad boy

yeah. i checked out the flowmaster site and they didnt post pics of them up. im thinking of just running a single. or finding a shop to do a true dual for cheap. but those mufflers just seemed way to bad a$$ to pass up. all in all though im thinking most likely a single.

5. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Duals are actually pretty easy to do on the k5s. I had mine done with the single cat removed and true dual setup with heddman headers. It was a bit too loud for my taste (was running flowmaster 2 chamber). So, I ended up having shop put in 2 Catco Cats (to help with noise, some backpressure and cut down on the fumes). It really made a diff. in noise. There was no power loss with adding the cats, so I was happy about that.

6. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I have the stock qjet and love it. I hardly ever stall out off road. If I satall its cause I was setting of camber for a while. If I keep light throttle on it I never have a problem. Only thing i have done is rebuild it. I like it because its got small primaries which is great for fuel economy.

7. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

what the matter with the current tbi? or did it get removed.
    I'd go with a q-jet. btw, v is 4wd r is 2wd.

8. 88-3/4t-bad boy

whats tbi stand for exactly? my carb is keeps stalling for some reason. we cleaned out the wasp nest but it still runs crummy

9. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Throttle Body Injection. basically its fuel injection, but its about the size of a carb.

TPI = Tune Port injected means each cylinder gets its own fuel injector

10. 88-3/4t-bad boy

ok... so i when ordering the truck avenger. do i have to buy any adapter plates or anything?

11. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

since, most likely it is TBI, I'd start running through a check list of sensors before throwing money and a carb(more money) into it.