Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carbs...holley or edelbrock

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NITRO, Sep 17, 2002.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

lookin for some first had experience/opinions. i have an edelbrock intake and Accel ignition. just wonderin what everyone is runnin. im thinkin bout goin to indianapolis this weekend and gettin one. i can get one for prolly about $50 brand new. i do alot of mudidng/trail riding. lemme know what ya think. thanx

NITRO

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Neither...they both suck off road. The edelbrock is basicly a Carter. THe new holly truck advenger is not getting very good reviews. the ONLY carb that seems to do well off road is the Quadrajet. One of the mags did a test of all the popular carbs and the quad was the only one they didn't have any problem out of.

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

should i just buy a new one or what?? i know that this stock pos aint puttin out the power that an aftermarket would, but i notice that it will run better off road. i also heard that rebuildin them is a PITA...

NITRO

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Rebuilding a Q-jet is easy.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

A STOCK Quadrajet is rated 750 CFM. It can handle as much power as you can make a sb 350 get without forced induction or NOS.
    Personnaly, other than the new replacement Quads that Eddlebrock sells, I feel your almost better staying with the carb that came on your engine. It should be jetted correctly. The New Quads that you can buy are hitting the mark pretty close and most people find they are purfectly acceptable and do not need a jet change.
    Only a few things go wrong with carbs that can't be cured with a $15 rebuild kit and possibly a Choke spring/element. Thats wear on the shafts that cause a vacuum leak. That can be fixed by a decent automotive machine shop by installing a bronze sleeve. Somebody physically screwing it up buy over tightneing stuff including the four bolts that hold it to the intake. This can cause the carb to be warped and not seal properly or bind.
    Dirt, sediment and agged rubber seals causes by far the majority of the issues and a rebuild is really described best as a cleaning and resealing. If you take your time and are carefull the only thing you really need to do is check the float level because of the new valve you install. The rest will stay. Once you get it back on the vehicle you will need to adjust idle speed and idle mixture and choke. In the case of an electric choke or a heat pipe you can get the choke pretty close if not dead on with it sitting on the work bench.
    THe only Quadd I don't like even bothering with is the ones with the mixture solonoide and the CCC (Computer Controlled Carb) those stink and you best bet is to replace them with a 79-about 83-84 just before that was introduced. that range of carbs can handle any of the emmissions controls the vehicle came with other than the O2 sensor that a CCC came with. As far as I have been able to find, the CCC carb never made it to the trucks. Looks like it was only on the cars. If it did it was on Cali model trucks.
    My personal favorites for use are the 79thru 83-84. THey either came with electric chokes or can be easily converted. I run that range on both my 75 and 79 and they work great. Fire right off. Choke only stays on as long as it is needed. Heck most of the time the electric choke has enough pull that they will drop the choke with out blipping the throttle. NEVER had a problem getting my trucks through emmisions with them either. 5 years ago the knuckle head doing the testing didn't notice the cats missing (it was that way when I bought it) that truck ran so clean that it passed the sniffer. It ran cleaner than a 87 FI ford 4 cyl did that we had at the time that was right and did pass.
    Ony upgrade that I feel will out perform a Quad in off road conditions is Fuel Injection.