Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carbs suck! I want fuel injection!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82Jimmy, May 13, 2002.

1. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Where is a link to a site? My engine is a POS and I need a new one with fuel injection. I swear i get 4.3 miles to the gallon and it costs me like 80 bucks a week to go around town.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.turbocity.com/EfiMainPage.htm> Turbocity.com</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.howell-efi.com>howell-efi.com</a>

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Of course they suck ... how else could they get all that gas in there??

Seriously, EFI is great! Makes lots-o-power! But a REAL mechanic still uses a carb! Quadrajets, are among some of the best carbs for off camber wheeling. The only problem is that they sometimes require a little pampering to get them to work right.

Got to http://www.quadrajet.com/index.htm . These guys will hook you up with some great reference books (Doug Roe wrote THE book on Quadrajets) get you the right parts and/or build a carb for you. I have had them do a handfull of baseplates for me (the throttle shaft bushings ALWAYS need to be replaced) these folks do great work.

Of all of the stuff that breaks on my rig, I never have problems with fuel delivery .... except when I forget to fill up! But I still get 13-15 mpg with a modest small block.

Carbs ROCK!

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

No one can argue that FI is not better... but, consider that a carb (especially a Q-jet) can be tailored to do more than you might think.

In this pic, my Q-jet kept running even tho the truck almost went on it's side. Now, I can't really brag about mileage, as I get about 10 - but the carb still continues to serve me well...!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockmodified.com/fsr/upperwood3-2-02/640/upperwood0104.jpg>http://www.rockmodified.com/fsr/upperwood3-2-02/640/upperwood0104.jpg</a>

Marv

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Marv, have you modified the Q-jet at all? If so what have you done?

Due to availabilty and fuel cost I may go with a propane conversion rather than FI, but if I can get that kind of reliabilty from a Q-jet I'd be happy in the meantime.

Rene

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't....!

The original carb worked for about 190k miles... rebuilt it many times and lowered the float level just a tad, and had it working well - then the throttle shafts wore out and I had to trade it in for a re-man model to the tune of $200.

Since putting this rebuild on, I've done nothing to it /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif and it prolly works better than the one I hosed around with..

I have seen a couple of them that were just running a float level too high. Danger w/ pushing this adjustment too far is to lean out at WOT - which can heat things up in a hurry!

Marv

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Check out the Ram Jet 350 direct from Chevrolet.............

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Can you buy the EFI off a ramjet? I dont want a ram jet engine just the EFI and how much would it be?

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Barry Grant can and has argued that FI is not better--once again, recently, he proved that a carb is what you want for ultimate power.

But, I personally like FI, as long as it's not TBI. TBI is fine for a stock engine but forget about performance upgrades. My C30 has it and gets great mileage because of it too. 4.10s, no overdrive, and 31s, and I still get 13 MPG!!

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Think so........call a dealership.

11. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Direct quote from the GM Performance Parts Catalag:
    "Components for this manifold are sold separately, but not as a kit."

I think the hard part would be getting the computer calibrated for an engine that wasn't the Ram Jet 350.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are worried about mileage, don't half a$$ it on a TPI setup that is missing some pretty important components. (like the RamJet setup) If you are motivated, theres nothing wrong with using GM TPI off of a Camaro/Firebird, and they are fairly easy to come by. Expensive, but the $500 I paid, and even if I round it up to $1000 for replacement injectors, prom, etc., (which I may not even need) its still going to be cheaper than the edelbrock setup.

Not saying Edelbrock's is bad, because I will most certainly spend more time installing the factory Camaro TPI than I would a new setup from Edelbrock. Besides, I've never looked into the Edelbrock system to see if it has all the things that make factory TPI great, such as VSS and an O2 sensor. I *doubt* they left the O2 sensor out like the RamJet.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It will not only be cheaper than the Edelbrock setup, but GM's TPI is probably better!!

14. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

From what I have seen, the Edelbrock setup looks to be cool beans. It DOES have an 02 sensor and all the other goodies you'd expect to see. The computer is something else because you can program several different modes in it and put 'em in when you wanna fly or keep the mileage up (it comes with it own control pad, no lap top needed). They have a kit that works with stock TBI parts and is about half the cost. The only problem is that it uses the stock throttle body from the old TBI setup and I don't know how much they can flow.

I still have a fond place in my heart for the old Quadrabog. I had too slow of timing and was blaming my troubles on mine. A little more initial timing and switch the vacuum back to ported and it pulls like crazy off the line. You can unhook the vacuum advance and not even tell, like it should be, its supposed to be there for economy, not performance. I would say you're blaming the wrong thinga majig.

Take the cap and rotor off and have a look inside. The weights in their should fit snug to the pins they pivot on. Check the bushings for wear and breakage. Pull out the vacuum advance and suck on the end of it and hold. The little rod on it should move, and stay that way until you take your mouth off it. Tune the damn thing up while you're there. Low teens for mileage w/ a Quadrajet should be no sweat at all.