Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CARBS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jul 28, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

What would be the Best off-road carb?(question asked for a SB some what modified)

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Quadrajet, with out a doubt.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

REALLY??? Like a stock? I though it would be to restrictive(SP)

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Yep, just a plain old stock quadrajet. You dont have the fuel bowl flooding and starving problems that are associated with carters and holly's. The new truck avenger is supposed to be better about killing the engine at big angles. My buddy is running a double pumper now and it has to be the worst carb I have ever seen for off roading. When he hit the steep hills it dies and floods the engine.

As for the restriction issue, look at those secondaries, they are HUGE!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Q- jets for truck SBC engines will flow up to 800 CFM. I would hardly call that "Too restrictive". And they are the best carb made for off roading. They will also usually give better fuel economy than the other performance carbs.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

if q-jets are so good then why does everyone talk so bad about them and why do you need a adapter plate to run the with aftermarket intakes

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have Edlebrock Performer Intake and Edlebrock's 1901 Q-Jet and it doesn't require any adapter plate.
    I belive the plate is for simply converting an intake that wasn't designed for a Q-jet.
    Low RPM = OffRoading, Q-Jet rules!
    High RPM = Racing, Q-Jet sucks!
    There are more gearhead high RPM racers out there giving the Q-jet a bad name than there are Low RPM Off-Roaders giving it a good one! Make sence?
    Anyway good luck
    .02c /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Definately a Q-Jet. Coming from the muscle car scene you'll hear a lot of bad mouthing of the Q-Jets because they are rather difficult for the novice to performance tune properly, can be difficult to get performance jets and don't have the aftermarket push. Hence the Carter, Edelbrock and Holley dominance in that arena. Additionally, the strip is fairly predictable with the terrain and directional forces you'll put on the carb so specialization in the newer carbs helps the strip application. I ran a Holley 850 double pumper on my truck originally and that had to be the worst experiences off road I've ever had, runs great on my muscle car though. Inclines and bumps would stall the engine, fuel economy was poor and the bottom end was not as predictable or useable compared to the stock Q-Jet which is back on now, getting 15 mpg on a 415ci and only stalls about the same time my locker isn't helping me any more on an incline. The only better route in my mind is EFI. If you never take your truck off road then maybe a Carter, Edelbrock or Holley would be a good choice (I liked my double pumpers power on the street) but off road, theres only one.