Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb's

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Muddytazz, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Carb\'s

Who here local or even somewhat local to me is willing to swing by and give me a hand trying to figure out my carb problem? If anyone can, either respond here or pm me.

2. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Re: Carb\'s

Whqat kinda problem you having Jeff?

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

You should have asked me when I was at your place a few weeks ago, I had 2 spare Quadrajets in the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

What problems are you having?

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yeah man, what kind of prob's are you having? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

First off what kind of carb?

Second what kind of problems?

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Quadrajet

When you go to floor it, it coughs, sputters, runs really rough like its starving, let off the gas a little and it runs fine. Kinda vague description, but its the best I can do right now.

And no shannon, its not the intake gasket, I did that trick you told me about and nothing happended.

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

accelerator pump may be shot. get a $20 rebuild kit and clean er up. the kit comes with a new accelerator pump.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Kits do not come with new accelerator pumps anymore, only the plunger rubber piece and the spring under it. If you want a new accelerator pump, you have to buy that extra. Trust me I know, I just rebuilt this carb 8 months ago /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

the little plunger is the accellerator pump. when that rubber gasket at the bottom of it gets old and dry it stops working well. but if you rebuilt it 8 months ago, it should still be good. you can check it with the rig off by looking in carb and opening the throttle. you should see fuel squirt out the accl. pump jets forcefully. are you getting good vacuum? checked all the other stupid stuff like fuel filter, fuel pump, base timing?

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Replaced the (in carb) filter at rebuild, don't have a timing light to check timing (but it idle, it seems good) fuel pump was my next thought.

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well, if your confident in your carb rebuild abilites, and you don't have any vaccum leaks... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif That sounds EXACTLY like what happened when my fuel pump went out. I wish I would have been able to figure it out then! I spent a chunk o' $$ before I FINALLY figured out it was the fuel pump! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Anyway, I know my whole fuel delivery system is in perfect working order now! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

A $20 fuel pump is a cheap fix.

12. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A $20 fuel pump is a cheap fix.

[/ QUOTE ]

True dat, yo! rule out all the simple sh!t. boarrow a timing light from someone too. just about every rig i've got has been off when i bought it. if that dist. hold down bolt has loosened over time she could have gotten out of wack on ya. keep us posted /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Will do on keeping you posted.

What really throws me is the fact that this stumbling only happens on acceleration. Idles nice and cruises nice, just accel.

14. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What really throws me is the fact that this stumbling only happens on acceleration. Idles nice and cruises nice, just accel.

[/ QUOTE ]

man, that sure sounds like an accel. pump problem to me.

15. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Ok, here's another thing I've noticed that its done.

Cruising down the road, start to go uphill, not more than 50 feet up the hill the burb starts stumbling without gas pedal change. I actually have to let off the gas to get it to stop stumbling. Now to me, this is more of a fuel delivery issue I would think.

16. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the fuel pump. I did some preventitive maintainence, aka create a problem where none exists, and put a new fuel pump on. Turns out something was wrong with the fuel pump and my truck did exactly what you are describing. It would idle fine and drive ok, but once you floored it or hit a hill it would stumble and run like crap. Put the old fuel pump back on and no more problems.

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Well it looks like i'm going to try the new fuel pump this weekend....will let everyone know how it turns out.

18. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Ok, I got 1 problem fixed /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I finally changed the fuel pump and took out the in-carb filter and put in a in-line filter and my stumbling has so far gone away. I'll be hill testing soon though cause thats where it did it the most. But now I noticed on the way home from my dads where I did all this, the damn thing backfires like crazy.........and LOUD. Anybody have a timing light they want to loan me for a couple hours or just help me time it?

19. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Wanna do a partial work day this Sat.? I can borrow my buddy's timing gun, and you can bring your welder /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I'll be replacing my valve cover gaskets, plugs, & wires this weekend. Then I'll need to re-time my rig. I put in the HEI w/out replacing the plugs. When I pulled the #1 plug it looked pretty bad. Maybe even bad enough to throw my timing off a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Better to be safe than sorry. Anyway lemme know what ya wanna do /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I just got done doing the good ole timing by feel/ear bit. The ole burb has never run better than she does now /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif