Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

(*&#)*&%# CARBURATOR! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Zeus33rd, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I've rebuilt the frickin thing and replaced the damn float and it STILL sputters and farts and dies on hills......ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm about to pull my frickin hair out!!!!! WTF did I do to deserve the rath of the Q-jet gods?!?!?! ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Not too many people can get all 14 adjustments correct on a Q-Jet. Myself included. Fuel injection is the way to go!!!

David

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I never could get the one on my Blue Blazer to run right..That is why it as a Edelbrock on there for now.. I am going to go TBI if I keep it...Dan

4. Zeus33rd

I knew someone was gonna tell me I need to go EFI.....Well DUH! No $hit! I know I do.......You wanna buy me an EFI set-up? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Fuel injection, is a friend of mine.

6. crawlerfj40

crawlerfj40 1/2 ton status

I know it is not fuel injection but the 1901 edelbrock carb Q-jet carb I have works up down and on its side right out of the box.I tried the holley off road carb and had the same promblem your having now.I went out and tested it for three days /forums/images/icons/grin.gif the wife loved it!I will send you some pics of up and down and on its side as soon as i get them up.

7. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

i have the edelbrock 1903... since december. I have no complaints yet.

8. Zeus33rd

If I had $450 I'd have a 1903 as well. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Wanna lend me $450? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

9. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Go with the jet stage 2 carb joe much better imo...and cheaper...mike

10. Zeus33rd

Well, I just went out today and tested the hell out of it......I'm going to be stuck on the pavement till I can get somethin new or different. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I almost killed myself again. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Pretty sobering thing to be 6 inches from rollin down the side of a hill. Mike, is there a place online where I can check out this Jet carb? Thanks....

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You got a link to the Jet card, Mike? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Here is the link and I bought mine at summit and they never had the light truck one (and I never knew about it til after I got it and was running it,but jegs has both the 750 and the 800 truck ones ..)so I got the 750 thinking it was the same and it runs fine so go figure...But jegs has the light truck carbs too...mike carb

13. Zeus33rd

Mike....How extreme have ya been as far as angles and inclines and stuff? Have you ever had it fart out {b]AT ALL[/b]? I'd like to get one of these, but money is an issue, and I sure as hell am not going to spend that kinda money on a carb I'm not totally certain is going to work the way I want it too. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

14. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I have had it on steep hills at hollister and in the mountains on the un-cut roads and never a problem....
    It did run great right out of the box and then after about a month I had to start adjusting the mix and idles but now it is good and the problems thatI have had have been because of other issuse's like timing and the like....mike

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I'm with fj40 on this one! The Edel. 1901 Q-jet works GREAT!! I have been running this carb sence 95ish and just this year I rebuilt it. It took some tweeking to get all and all set right but once set I have 0 issues with hills and bumpy stuff.
    For your Q-jet try this
    Take it off and apart. Double check the float adjustment make sure you hold the float seated properly when checking to the spec of your model.
    Unscrew the Air/fuel mix screws all the way and clean them up nicely. Put them back in and screw all the way in, both. now look underneath to see how much of the mix screw you can see and make sure the two screws look even.
    Now unscrew each one 3 full turns, while checking the underside keeping the little tit even side to side. This is how I find a good starting point for the A/F mix.
    I hope that made sence. Put it all bac together. You can add a 3" piece of fuel line to the top vent tube too keep fuel from splashing into your primaries and flooding out!
    Good Luck /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Of course you have a pressure regulator on it... right?

I found my Q-jet was flooding after I got a new fuel pump... then I rebuilt it, then I rebuilt it again.,, Then I got a Edelbrock (flooded going up), then I got their off-road kit (better), then I got a pressure regulator (better, still flooded going up), then I got TBI.

Good luck.

17. Zeus33rd

Dude, I did ALL that stuff. I musta doulbe, triple and quadruple checked the float level....As far as the AF mix....I have Doug Roe's book on the q-jet, I just followed the steps there....I think the carb is just $hit. I'm so tired of lookin at the insides of frickin q-jets I don't want to f*ck with them any more. If the next I one I get doesn't work....I'll unbolt it and try another one.....I'm NOT rebuilding another one of these things for a looooooooong time. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hmmmm, well I guess your fawked! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
    A q-jet is not a Q-jet, what I mean is there are alot of different models out there and the only ones I have worked with are pre73 old school style. IMO they are the best! Like the 1901 VERY simple and straight forward, devorced choke and all. I like um anyway.
    Good Luck my red dirt friend /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. Zeus33rd

Wes, (ThatK30Guy) has a new 1904 for sale that I might buy. Just gotta start savin the pennies. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif $350 shipped to my door, including a $50 rebuild kit and a new float. Not a bad deal. Anyone wanna lend me $350? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif