Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carbureator Issue

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    My brother has a truck with a carb on it (not sure make of carb or cfm, but it is on a big block). When you stomp on the gas pedal, the truck will poof at you and then accelerate. I say it has something to do with his carb/ leaky exhaust. Am I right in this situation, and what could be the cause of the carb problems?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If I knew what exactly caused it or how to fix it, my 84 wouldn't still do it./forums/images/icons/wink.gif I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the secondaries opening on time. Secondaries are the 3rd and 4th barrels on a four barrel. They are either vacuum or mechanically operated depending on the carb and open when you put the pedal to the metal.

If you knew the above stuff, sorry for the un-needed info. Just thought I'd explain it a little better just in case/forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If I knew what exactly caused it or how to fix it, my 84 wouldn't still do it./forums/images/icons/wink.gif I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the secondaries opening on time. Secondaries are the 3rd and 4th barrels on a four barrel. They are either vacuum or mechanically operated depending on the carb and open when you put the pedal to the metal.

If you knew the above stuff, sorry for the un-needed info. Just thought I'd explain it a little better just in case/forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Possibly accelrater pump in carb is going bad. Rebuild it and see if that will fix the problem. I've got to rebuild mine sometime soon.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Sounds kinda like the initial static advance is set retarded, so when you stomp on the gas, the vacuum hits zero, theres not enough mechanical advance to compensate and you get a momentary pop through the carb (all this is assuming that it runs normally otherwise). A bad accelerator pump can cause a lul off the line as well, as stated above.