Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carburetor recommendation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SVBlazer, Dec 1, 2002.

1. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

I’m looking for any experiences with Holley’s new Truck Avenger Carb. I’m currently running a Q-Jet and having some tuning problems. I believe the Carb is on its last legs and leaning out somehow.

When cold, the motor hesitates and runs like a plug is fouled. (Just installed new Autolite 145 plugs set to .045.) The best description is similar to a stock 350 with a Q-Jet and put the throttle to the floor, hesitates, pops and then accelerates after clearing….

When warm under cruise throttle (2200-2900 rpm) it pings when accelerating to maintain speed up a gentle grade. I’ve also noticed some popping in the mufflers when accelerating from a traffic light after sitting for a minute or two. I don’t notice the ping when running 3000 and up.

I run a 85 Blazer is an 85 with a 2.5 inch lift, 33s and 3.73 gears with a freshly built 700r4 tranny matched to this motor. The motor is a 383 with a 280 cam installed, LT1 heads, headers, duel exhaust, Jacobs Off ignition, Jacobs wires and an Accel distributor (mechanical advance with timing set to 28 degrees). The CR is 10.5 and run 91octane fuel all the time.

Some will recommend moving to an injection system and perhaps that’s in the cards down the road. I just don’t want to throw another $1-2k at the motor.

Thanks for you advice!

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

You dont need to spend $1000 or even $2000. Drop John at www.customefis.com an email and ask him what it would cost to install a TBI system on that 383. I'll save you the trouble... he builds COMPLETE kits for any 5.7L engine for $840. I just committed to the swap from an Edelbrock 1910 QJet thats been on my 454 for 10 months, to one of his GM EFI systems.

You can email John @ Questions@customefis.com. Best of luck making your decision. But in my experience, folks that make the conversion from carb'd to EFI'd say its the BEST upgrade they ever did to their truck! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Some will recommend moving to an injection system and perhaps that’s in the cards down the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont throw your money away into a carb that will dissappoint you in the long run. Save your money and go EFI... I sure wish I did when I lost $500 with my Edelbrock! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Dan

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

WOW! Thats a nice kit for 845. As good or better than other GM kits I have seen and used for 1200 or more. I also think that it would be money well spent. A new carb is going to be 400 or more. For another 400 you can have a custom TBI.

Personally I have no experence with the Truck Avenger. But a guy I wheel with now and then has one on his Jeep (Chevy 350) and he likes it ok. It works a lot better than the Edelbrock he had on it before. It dosent seem to flood when going up steep hills. Which is a big problem with regular Holleys.
    I'm not sure. But if the holleys only come in square bore you will also have to buy a new manifold. Whill will cost more $$$$
    Personally I perfer Q-jets over Holleys. You might look into one of these from:jetchip.com
    They build real good carbs and cost around 400. They will tune one for your engine if you talk to them and tell them what you have.