Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carburetor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by larsfrog, Sep 16, 2004.

1. larsfrog

larsfrog Registered Member

I can not drive my car ('86 5.0L M4MED carburetor), it is running extremely crappy. I checked all of the vacuum hoses, fuel pump, spark and fuel filter everything is fine with those things. I next checked my carburetor to see if gas was actually getting in there. Granted my car was not at normal operating temp (due to the fact it is hard to get it there), gas was only comming out of ONE of the two nozzles and it was not comming out in a solid stream more like a dribbly stream while running (Maybe because of the choke?). When car was not running and I pressed the throttle lever down gas was coming out in a dribbly stream as well but this time into BOTH of the cylinders. Was wondering if my carburetor needs rebuilding or what, I have no idea when it comes to this carburetor stuff?

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I would say you should rebuild it. Kits are around $25. Also buy a brass float if yours is not equipped with one already. Rebuilding a Q jet can be a little challenging for a 1st timer. I had a buddy stand next to me while i did mine and give me pointers as I dissassembled it. If you know someone who has done it, see if they will help you. If you plan on doing it yourself I recommend you take some pic's of the linkage w/ a digital cam and as you take it a part. I laid down a moving blanket on my tail gate and took the parts off and laid them in series as they came off. The rebuild kit will also have a diagram that will help out. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif