Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carburetors....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mike's '84, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Mike's '84

Mike's '84 Registered Member

Has anyone done any business with National Carburetors? I just ordered a new one to replace my aging Rochester on my 84. The replacement cost at all the places I called locally (Stockton,Ca.) wanted to charge me 650$$ and up.

This place has them for $269.00 and a little more to get it to me. Did I make a mistake?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The $650 carb's are most likely brand new, the $270 carb is most likely a rebuilt. Depending on the rebuilder the rebuilt carb's can sometimes be a crap shoot. I have gone through as many as three rebuilts to get a good one. It seems they don't automatically change the throttle plate bushings on rebuilt Q-jets...so they cheat air right out of the box.

Rene

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

There's a place in Cali called SMI Carburetors that I have priced, buy never ordered anything. I was about $260-$280 for a rebuilt Stage 2 Qjet custom built to your application. They are online at http://www.smicarburetor.com I read about them in one of the car magazines, either Car Craft or High Performance Chevy.

4. Mike's '84

Mike's '84 Registered Member

Thanks guys. They say it will be adjusted right and everything. lol I am brushing up on the on-car adjustments that are going to have to be done.

I decided to stay with the stock application to minimize any problems with the Smog Police. I'll let you know how I did on the crapshoot...getting the Blazer in shape to make a Vegas run as a matter of fact. For better or worse the thing will be here in a week or so.....