Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carden U-joint removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rcpilot, Sep 30, 2002.

1. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Any tricks to replacing the u-joints on the transfer end of the front shaft from a 203.. the double carden end...looks next to impossible... thanks

2. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I just did it and it was fairly easy. I recently bought a ball joint press, U-joint tool that made the job a lot easier. This is the tool described in the "A guide to packing for the trail" There is a picture of one in the article. Go to the main Coloradok5 page and you will see it.

The double-u-joint you referred to has a center ball spindle with bearings in it. I removed this and cleaned it thoroughly and put all the bearings in place and it looks and works great. The u-joints you need for this have a special type of grease fitting that is concave.

No tricks, just get the right tool for the job and don't lose any of those little roller bearings that will fall out of the middle of the joint.

Good luck.

3. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

one of my u-joints has a regular greese fitting on it and the other is missing /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif ... I saw a pi of sorts on one side of the center ball unit..it is sticking a little out.. normal? thanks

4. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

The new U-joints had a concave type head on them that was flush with the u-joint (not sticking out). When you go to the auto parts place, they should give you the proper u-joints if you tell them your application.

Good luck.