Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Care to explain Trailer Brakes?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by BowtieBlazer, Oct 9, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I know i have them on my pop-up camper but they aren't the electronic controlled ones...I believe they work off of the tounge and how much it shifts up and down with the braking motion of the tow vehicle....

Electronic ones how do they work...never really looked around but there must be brake lines etc as well to brake the trailer....is there a simple way to convert from what I have to an electronic setup? In general a decent or fully technical explaination will do /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

the'res no easy way to switch from one to another. What you have are called surge brakes. In most areas, they arent even avaliable anymore. Worked really well for super heavy duties who have a ultra heavy tow rig. the more the surge weight on the tongue, the more it activated the trailer brakes.

On electric brakes, there are two parts- a brake controller, and electric brakes. the Electric brake controller varies in how it works, from timed brake application, to fixed brake application, to momentum activated.

cheaper ones are all fixed (you adjust the brake level), timed brake (the longer the brake pedal is depressed). There are other ones which use how far the brake pedal is depressed, ( I thinkt he jordan), and the last one is the momentum (Tekonsha prodigy). I like the momentum type, it pretty much senses how much decelleration you want. But people also swear by the jordan, which is also good.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The braking system your trailer is equipped with is called a "surge" system. They are all a little different but basically when you start braking the forward momentum of your trailer activates the trailer brakes- the harder you brake, the higher the pressure on the surge system. I don't think surge brakes are used anymore, although we have a small 2 yard hydraulic dump trailer at work that still has a surge setup.

Lunch time is over. If nobody has answered your question about how electrc trailer brakes work I'll do my best to explain after work.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Doh!!! You beat me to it, brother!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

You will usually see surge brakes on rental trailers such as U-HAUL.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You will usually see surge brakes on rental trailers such as U-HAUL.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see the rentals with surge brakes because all you need is a hitch and trailer lights.

Steve:
    The surge brake is still used actually and it's THE ONLY option for boat trailers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    You can't have electronic brakes in the water.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I did tow a trailer with surge brakes and I can tell you that when the tongue weight is not enough, it's really scary, the electronic brakes trailers are more forgiving in that.
    But when I had it balanced right I didn't even feel I had a 800lbs trailer/boat combo behind me and that was towing it with a regular cab long bed with a 350. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif