Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

career advice?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stockk5, Jul 19, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i just graduated high school, and college isnt my thing...i dont want a 9-5 job in an office...or cars...i like it as a hobbie not a job, im just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for a career:confused: ...any help would be great. thanks:bow:

2. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

start an apprenticeship doing something. What kind of things could you see yourself doing?

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a freind that works as a lineman for a power company, he makes quite a bit. Also have a freind who is a boiler maker, thought any about sales start out working at a small store or try a car dealership. Just out of high school looking to see the U S how about an OTR trucker, if you watch yourself you can make lots of money Theres tons of stuff to do out there. Who knows you might try one of these jobs out and decide school is a good idea

4. stockk5

i like cnc machining...but not much money in that unless i get reeeeally lucky...i like hands on, mechanical type work enviornments...

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Most trades will eventually pay very well as you gain experience. Some are better than others, it just depends on what you like and what you're good at. If you're lucky they're the same thing. I had a neighbor suggest welding school for me way back when...and until that point i had never even considered it. Turns out i really liked it, and I had a bit of a natural touch.

I find with most trades the amount of opportunity to advance is almost limitless. It just depends on your attitude and aptitude. IMO this is a good time to get into the trades as the trend in high schools the last 10 years was to steer every kid into computers ...which seems to have left a 'hole'. Around here a guy fresh out of welding school with a good attitude makes $19 an hour to start. Thats decent money for a young guy fresh out of 10 months of schooling and with no experience.

Rene

6. stockk5

ya that seems cool, i know theres so many jobs out there that i havent even thought of like being a lineman, i would definitly go to tech school no doubt in my mind...i just see so many jobs that one person is making 25k a year and another person making 80k doing the samething it freaks me out:crazy: , i want to have a career that has a high success rate....i dont like this pressure

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you're going to be a machinist, learn to machine on manual machines first. It'll make you 100% better as a CNC machinist later IME. We've had "CNC machinists" come through our work that could not drill a hole on a radial drill...:doah:

Rene

8. stockk5

wow...thanks a lot guys, i just feel better about some jobs already...machining/cnc programmer seems like a good path for me,im gonna check that out... but thanks a lot for the advice and everything.:bow::bow: :bow: :bow:

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Whatever you do go full bore learn everything there is to learn about it make yourself the "indespesible" guy at work, when you manage to do that, that is when you will start making money. Also as far as machinest goes I know a couple who work at a very large DOE (Department Of Energy) complex near me 40 hrs a week and even though they have both been there a while they both make near 80,000 a year.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

beings you are just out of highskool i suggest
    1. Raise hell and prop it up with a stick.
    2.Chase Floozy's
    3party animal. party till you puke, get up do it again.
    All are good noble professions for a young man in your position.

Oh! Did I mention to Chase Floozy's?

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm pretty sure the United States Military might have a place for you. From everything including world travel, free medical, free food, a place to stay, great training, they have everything you can think of.

Hell, just spending a few years in, running around, blowing stuff up, shooting some exotic weapons not readily available to the average citizen, getting drunk on down time and banging some nasty whores is a cool way to go through life. Then when you get out, or even while you are in, they'll give ya a little cash to expand on your education if that's your desire..........................:D

12. stockk5

sorry..im straight edge...i dont like hookers...or beer...although root beer is my favorite....and trust me, im still having fun as a kid still, i havent woken up earlier then 11 in a while...when im lazy im reeeally lazy but when i work i work my ass off until its done right.

13. stockk5

ya i want to do exactly that, i want to get to be the top man at the shop wherever i may end up...i want to know everything there is to know...and im willing to work to do that.