Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

career change--any advice on careers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fourwheelerjeff, Aug 11, 2003.

1. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

thinking of making a career change, either into the teaching field or into the computer field, so i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advice about this; the main reason i am contemplating this is because of my 2 daughters, i have a good job now but work nights and weekends and was wanting to spend more time with them before they are gone /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    i am open to other suggestions also
    thanks for your time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

Computer field...big no no...my 2 cents... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

teaching? i hope you dont expect big money.....my moms a teacher
    computer field? i hope you dont need a job RIGHT NOW..i was taking Cisco networking classes and after the second year the field was so full they cut the program and im stuck turning wrenches..

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Jeff fill us in on what kind of skills you have now, and what kind of skills you are willing to get.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

computer field ya if you get in can be a decent occupation teaching i think could be a very rewarding career if your into it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Screw all that happy stuff....Teaching? They be snot nosed punks anyway when they get to the age of being stupid.........

Here y'all go, previous theme.......

Now with y'all being down there in Texas, this should rock.........

Open a gun club................But wait, not just any gun club...............

A nudie bar with a gun club.....After a hard day of blasting large pieces of paper into smaller pieces of paper, ole Billy Bob, Jim Bob and Bobby Joe can step inside for a cold beer and boobies....................

7. Confedneck

[ QUOTE ]
    Screw all that happy stuff....Teaching? They be snot nosed punks anyway when they get to the age of being stupid.........

A nudie bar with a gun club.....After a hard day of blasting large pieces of paper into smaller pieces of paper, ole Billy Bob, Jim Bob and Bobby Joe can step inside for a cold beer and boobies....................

[/ QUOTE ]
    hey bubba...thats freakin hilarious.. you rule.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Which ever career you choose the time you are giving to your daughters is going to be worth more then the job pays. My mother opened a at home daycare when I was young. The money wasn't great but it was worth it to have my moms time.

9. fourwheelerjeff

[ QUOTE ]
    Jeff fill us in on what kind of skills you have now, and what kind of skills you are willing to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

right now, i work for the postal service, which is a good job, i have been a manual distribution clerk, carrier, mail processor, mail handler, window clerk, supervisor and post master relief, so i am well rounded in this field; but i am working as a mail handler now, and i work nights and weekends and my girls are 11 and 13; now in a couple of years i imagine the boys will be telling them, "i will come over when your dad goes to work" /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif (we were boys once)
    before that it was 6 years in the military on m1a1 tanks, and my gi bill ends in may of 05 if i understand things correctly, before the army, it was just low paying jobs, gas station attendant, parts counterman, motorcycle mechanic, mechanic at shop, heavy equipment operator
    as to what i am willing to learn, i have about 70 hours of college already, and am thinking of trying to use my gi bill before it expires, i am willing to learn anything, and can learn anything (have a standing invitation to mensa /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) just made some bad decisions with the wrong head a few times; and now it may too late to change careers anyway, i am 38 years old

10. fourwheelerjeff

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

now that might work in texas /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    my gi bill ends in may of 05 if i understand things correctly, before the army,

[/ QUOTE ]

10 years from the date you got out is when it ends.

12. Confedneck

howsabout being a welder? i hear that pays pretty good...especially if you can be mobile..

13. fourwheelerjeff

correct; i got out may 95, like the 23rd or so, my dd214 is looked up in my shop /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Dang, we got out within 4 months of each other. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. fourwheelerjeff

you weren't at fort cartoon were you, i went to pldc with some scouts /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Nope, fawking Army wouldn't send me. Asked for the place twice (it's only about 200 miles away from home) and the first time, everyone that wanted to go to Cartoon went to Hawaii (not bad looking back on it) then I extended at the end of my first enlistment and asked for it and went to Ft. Stewart. I got out when I was at Ft. Irwin.

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Read this before you think about going into computers: http://www.msnbc.com/news/950660.asp?0dm=B18MT#TOP With the advent of the internet and cheap telecommuncations, many computer jobs are quickly migrating overseas, where people will work long hours for salaries that wouldn't even pay our property taxes in the US. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

18. fourwheelerjeff

true on that harry, i read that a while back, the reason teaching appeals to me is i would have better hours and get to wear better clothes, but i already know i would make less, but as i get older i realize family is more important than money sometimes; the reason computers appeal to me is because i am a dumbbutt about them, i bought a pretty nice system (for me) and all i do is surf the web with it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

19. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Jeff-
    How many more years before you are eligible to recieve a retirement from the postal service? It would be a shame to loose the benifits that the USPS offer. Do you have a degree? If so in what? While supervision can make up for some things its the teaching of right from wrong to begin with that makes the difference. It's the respect that your girls have for you that will keep them out of trouble, In my case there was some fear involved in that equation.
    Cheers, Rugger
    Cheers, erik

20. fourwheelerjeff

when i am 56 i will have 30 years with the postal service, (counting my military time) to be honest though, i am not real sure if i will be eligible for retirement, probably the best thing would be to look for something within the postal service where i could be on days, maybe postmaster of some small town, then i could take off and go wheelin' when i want /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    no degree in anything, just 70 hours of college, with a strong background in math /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

maybe if i wasn't so hard to live with, i could find a woman to help out with the girls /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif