Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Career change...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zeus33rd, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

For those that wonder what I've been up too..

Yep...time for a change. Tired of bein dirty all the time...tired of having no clothes that aren't full of holes from welding, tired of the constant black boogers and fingernails. No more welding/fab/truck shiit for me. Not enough money in any of that. I'm lookin in 3 different directions right now. Going to school for either computer science, mechanical engineering, or accounting/bookkeeper. In that order for the most part, computers are the future for sure, mechanical engineers get to do some cool shiit, and theres always gonna be a need for someone to keep track of all that $$$. I'm going to take advantage of the Montgomery GI Bill I have from the Army. Gonna be kinda wierd going to school though. It's been 12 years or so since I was in a classroom of anykind...since highschool..:haha: :haha:

Starting out at the local comunity college. Probably transfer to a 4 year school later. I know I'm doing this alittle late at the age of 30- I joined the Army instead of going to school. Better late than never I'm thinking...wish me luck. :D

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Good luck Joe! :D

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you are doing it right. You will get back in the groove in no tie flat. Almost half of the people I went to school with were "non-traditional" students and they did much better, as a group, than the "traditional know-it-alls" like myself. Nothing like a little life experience to level you out a bit.

Good luck.

4. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Excellent! Starting off wilth the local C.C. is indeed the way to go. Good luck, and keep with it.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Good for you...

I really worry about that at times..

At least I'm finally being sent out to some classes for certifications at least..

I'm so engrained as being a grunt, a desk/other type gig seems like Mars to me..

Financially and physically, it's a scary proposition thinking 10 yrs down the road...

Good luck man!

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Good for you..and no, it's never to late to start, and always too soon to quit.

Tom

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Right on....I certainly did NOT expect this level of support from this place. Goooood shiiit!:D

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Well, I'll tell you.. I graduated HS in 1985.. college wasn't an option 'cause of finances, and my inability to decide what I wanted to be when I grew up.. so, I did factory work.. my longes stretch was 7 years ( 87 - 94) at an aluminum casting foundry.. I could relate when you described being sick of being dirty & going nowhere..

I tried the "back to school route", and discovered that I was able to be a good student.. I didn't continue because I was introduced to being self employed, and I decided that it was best to focus on those opportunities, and i haven't looked back..

my point is, I know what it's like to have family reject me because I "tried to get above my raising", by deciding I didn't want to die in a factory.. I also know what it's like to have friends become distant, because I decided to improve myself.. my father in law still laughs at me because he doesn't believe in what I'm doing with my fuel additive company.. I told him " don't worry roy, when it's all said and done, you'll have plenty of opportunity to say that you always knew I could do it".. I mean, hell we just signed up a major underground mining operation, and the guy still can't appreciate anything that doesn't involve working in steel mill..

Anyway, I know that when it comes to wanting to change your life, encouragement can be hard to find, especially if it doesn't happen right away.. so, when I encounter someone in that position, I'm failing you as a friend if I DON'T provide encouragement.

Tom

9. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

wow... graduated in 85... i was born in 85... but jethro, good luck, sound like you know what you want to do, just not where, yet... get with it and you can do it!!

10. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

|)()()|), my dad didn't get his degree until he was 40 years old, and still made a decent career as a Social Worker :D

11. filo

filo Registered Member

Good Luck Jethro!!!
    My wife (and I ) are 40 and she will graduate fall '07. It's been different for her, but she's gonna make it.
    I quit years ago with 80 credits and am still kicking myself.
    Keep at it, no matter what it is.:waytogo: :waytogo:

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Right on, Joe!!! I've thought about doing the same thing, but the money keeps getting in the way.........:doah:

Luckily for me, I work for a company that provides plenty of opportunities for advancement. If I stay on with the Gas Co. there's a really good chance I can be into a foreman position before I'm 40, if I ever get around to applying for it. After 18 years, I'm kinda used to the calluses, the coveralls and the dirt in my hair every night.

Anyhow, it takes courage to hang up your hat in exchange for another one, especially at your age. Good for you.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:thumb:
    I just started looking at schools, too. I'm not sure if I want to bother pursuing a degree in something or just take some classes to get better educated.

Ask around a lot before putting effort into getting into a computer field. The Golden Age of I.T. guys has passed or is passing as technology is becoming more and more robust. It's requiring less and less skill, which means less and less money. Developement would be a better side of computers to pursue, but even that's becoming a lower paying field.If I could go back to 18 and do it again, I'd probably pursue robotics.

Good luck!

14. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good deal going back to school KidJethro! mrk5 did the same thing using his Montgomery G. I. funds. He is just a few hours short of getting his second Associate of Arts degree. He worked full time and went to school. Don't give up you can do it.

fred2mihi

15. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

You can NEVER have too much knowledge.:bow:
    I am 49 (almost 50), and still making a living with my body (carpenter). It gets harder every year.

Change can be scary. Just keep in mind why you are doing this, and you will make it through.:D

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

This thread should be an eyeopener to all the young people here.:deal:

You'll notice that all us old bastards are the most vocal supporters of KJ's decision to return to school. There's a reason for that, lads- your back, legs, and arms may be strong now, but that won't last forever. Nor will your stamina- when you're 35, a 12 hour day isn't as fun as it was when you were 22.

Basically, what I'm trying to say that although there is no shame in making your money the old-fashioned way(ie. hard work), it is not necessary to go that route if you have a good brain and the willpower and self-discipline needed to get you through school.

17. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Joe, I know it kinda cliche, but, your never too old to got to school. I'll be 40 here in another month, and I graduate in may with my associates degree and my A & P license, I'm gonna continue on and get my BS degree in technical management. I got this really cool gig as an F-16 electrician for the DOD, before I even finished A & P school.

So, what does this mean to you? It means that there is plenty of opporotunity for you to become gainfully employed in almost any field you choose.

Decide on something and never look back!

18. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i am glad i was smart enough to figure this out before i am completely broken. Im 20, been at a community college for 2years.. and i love working on trucks/ bikes whatever it is, but i knew i'd be like my friends dad... whos a mech. all crippled and pain.. i dont wanna do that, i want to keep wrenching for fun. So i figure.. i still wanna wrench.. have good hours.. pay.. but not be all wrecked out when im 45.. so im gonna be a tech. ed teacher. hopefully. Now im goign to school for that. It'll work out for me, and give me best of both worlds in my mind. So way to goo and have fun w/ school.

19. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Exactly! You can marry more money in 15 minutes than you can make in a lifetime! Wait...what?

More power to ya man, good luck.

20. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

lotts of people got to school for 6 years