Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Career decisions...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 15, 2006.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I may soon have the option of staying where I am, or going back to my old group in a different capacity.
    I'm out in the booney's in the 6th site of a 6 site group/cluster. The other 5 sites are all in New York city and will soon be merging into 1 big site.
    We just got word that my site will have to be sold soon because of some changes in our parent company that will result in us falling under a different set of rules with a particular government authority.
    So right now, I'm collecting RF engineering experience where I am, but I also have the entire 5-site cluster in the city to help me when I hit a snag I can't figure out. When my site is sold, that safety net will go away, and I'm flying solo, or with the existing engineering group of the company that buys my site. That might be good or bad for me, my site is a cash cow, so another company may view it as needing a more experienced engineer, and therefore it's "Seeya Ratch".
    I really like it out here now... I grew a beard, wear work boots, sometimes a camo hat, etc, I ride my motorcycle often, I have tons of freedom (in exchange for being 24/7/365 on-call). I even now and then saw myself still here in 5 years.

My boss told me yesterday to think about an engineering position back in the city again. He explained what was happening, but I was running on 36 hours strait with no sleep, so I barely understood him. He's down two engineers there but wanted to keep me out here until he got the sale news.
    In the city, I'll have a full team and not be possibly in over my head, stay in the same company, same pay, same insurance, yadda yadda. But I have to go back to being more corp-like, get to work at more disciplined hours, I can't look like I just overhauled a Freightliner on the side of the expressway, I have to go to meetings, I have to break people's chops (management position), etc. Plus, the city people are less friendly/family-ish than the people out here. I'll miss how bonded people out here are. They actually go out together for non-company events...

2. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your boss knows that you need to go back to your old group in order to stay employed..

he might have some information he's not "officially" allowed to share. I mean, he didn't drop a hint, he backed up a truck, and freakin' dumped a hint.

I'd move back for awhile, and see how things shake out. maybe you could go back to being the lone wolf sometime later.

Tom

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I grew up in the booney's with a group of cluster focks..........

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Bet you wish you had ..... nevermind...Ratch, move far away from where yer at like Okeyhomo....:D

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds right. I would think long and hard about that. Its better to be safely employed, even if you intend to look for other work, than to be unemployed. Go back o the city and look fo something better if you don't like it.

6. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

you were looking for a job when you found the one you have... i agree, those sound like some heavy hints..

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

He sort of is. He doesn't want to lose me from his team, but he's not trying to push me in either direction. He told me the news before public as a courtesy and cause I'm sort of on the inner "cone of trust" as he calls it.
    He's confident a good company will buy the site, and no one will be let go. He's convinced I'm ready to fly solo and I'd be fine without the city support. He thinks from my perspective, this is a win/win no matter what I decide (unless a really crappy company comes in, but that's unlikely with the price tag of this property).

Staying out here doesn't mean I'm completely cut off from the city, either. It was suggested in the past that he was "grooming" me for bigger things in the city, and he is one to tap old people who've parted ways when he's in need. So if I stayed out here and it sucked, then something opened up there or he never filled the slot, I would be a prime candidate.

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm gonna reply with the old Can Can standby, Ratch-

GO WITH YOUR GUT INSTINCT!!!!!!:deal: :deal: :deal:

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ya know, ironically, I haven't looked for a job in a long time. Every job I've had since the mid nineties has been basically a better opportunity coming along and me taking it. I even turned down the position I'm in the first time the idea was floated

10. Confedneck79K30

what is it, exactly that you do?

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm the Chief Engineer of a radio station.

12. Confedneck79K30

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Intense sometimes... It's crossed my mind plenty of times to just bail and go back to IT, I have a buddy waiting on Go to start a local consulting company. :rotfl: He even has a list of clients lined up...

But I get free concert tickets sometimes. Not really that great of a perk, I hate concerts...

14. Confedneck79K30

give em away on here to people in your local area, or make them donate to a charity to get them lol