Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Careers: Firefighting

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nofeartruckin00, Sep 16, 2002.

1. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Is anyone here a firefighter? I'm seriously considering a career in it, but wanted to know if anyone here has been through it for a while. I've gotten lots of info from college sites, but no first hand knowledge from people in the field. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

See if you can get ahold of Pugsly, I'm pretty sure he's a fire fighter, if I remember correctly.

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I want to be a Fireman but Riding as EMT for two years is a requirement. The thought of extracating kids and or innocent people and rendering first aid to seriously damaged people kinda spins me out. Working a wreck of a family on vacation or a heart attack victim, I don't know. For the most part people perform under pressure as I know I would, but I worry about the after effects on my own mind.
    I may even be to old to start (36).
    Jim

4. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I was in the forest service for a couple of years as a hotshot. The pay sucked but talk about a wild rush to whole way through. Wish I was still in the same shape, we used to run 5 miles before breakfast just for a wakeup jog, and then ate, pt, and then training. This was for the first 2 months then we got on fires. WOW, what a difference in pay. I made 76 dollars an hour for 8 hours one day, with the hazard pay, sunday diff., holiday pay, double time, etc.
    Did that straight out of H.S. then quit after 2 years to go to school. We even did SAR during the fall after the fire season. Worked from May 1 to Nov. 30. Then found a couple of part time jobs over the winter.
    Never did try the smoke jumping thing, always considered those guys a little too crazy for me. Its like comparing the Marines against the SEALs.
    Good times man, even got burned over once. 60 foot flames 25' from us, I hid behind a dozer with several convicts from a con. crew hunkering down with us. Never quite got to popping the fire shelter though.
    If you want anymore info. just ask.

5. nofeartruckin00

I thought you could never be too old to start anything? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I didn't know about the EMT thing. I guess it would just be a mental game, keep your self thinking straight and you are fine.

6. nofeartruckin00

Sounds like you had alot of fun doing it. My local college has classes i'd like to take, but it says i have to be a volunteer at a local station for a while before i take the classes. I guess i should find out what is required to be a volunteer FF. Time for more searching /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've volentireed out at a fire watch tower. Spent a day watching for smoke and any other signs of fire in the forest. Biggest thing had to keep an eye out for was lightning. In all honesty, was very boring, but I'd do it again if they ever call.

8. nofeartruckin00

Was that through the fire dept., or the DNR state forest people?

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Forestry Dept. I was up at one of the fire towers taking a free tour and the guild told us about them needing volenteers, so I signed up. They called about 2 months later and I went. They asked if they could call on me again, and I told them YES. So maybe they'll call someday.

10. nofeartruckin00

Sounds cool. I think i'll head down the the fire station tomorrow and see if they need any volunteers.

11. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

hmmm...let me get this right, you want to purposly go chase big fires...scary..i guess its about like tryin to join the army. Good luck with it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. nofeartruckin00

I just hope that when i do chase the fires, that they don't try to chase me /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

13. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

lol. that would suck. well best of luck to ya. later

jacob

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

My uncle just retired as a lieutenant in the Portland, OR Fire Bureau...........at 54 - his son is now a firefighter...............great jobs in places other than large cities in my opinion. Big buildings burning is not a place to be - great schedules too............work 24 on, 48 off.............hmm, pretty good deal. Rotates days and can't count on weekends off but lots of play/golf/wheeling time during the off days. Great pay and PERS (retirement, at least up here). I'd do it.............good luck. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I've been a certified EMT for the past year and a half. Most cities around here require that your are an EMT at the least. They mostly want Paramedics though. I've been applying around this area for the past year and so far I got on the waiting list for Oakland. I passed all the series of tests: written, oral board, physical agility, background check and pshycological. Competition is pretty intense, I made the cut from 4000 applicants down to 80. So start taking your EMT classes just to get your foot in the door. Also write letters to your local city fire depts about ride alongs. Most stations are cool with it and you'll be able to get some first hand advice. Hope this helps. Good luck.

16. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

The ride along is a good idea, but it should be treated as an interview. Take ice cream, that's always a hit. Just don't be to comfortable, everyone will be watching you to see if you're someone they want to work with. Keep in mind you would be spending a third of you life with those people.

If EMT(B,A or Paramedic) is required it is worth the investment of time and money. If you start applying, do it everywhere you can, it will be good experience, even if you don't get the job. If you get hired someplace you don't want to be, it will still provide experience to help you get where you want to be.

BTW, it's the greatest job in the world.

Good Luck,
    Brett

17. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

In the words of my old fire school trainer......
    "The fire is 99.99% faster than you can run uphill, so always run downhill" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    "If you want to sleep through this class, go right ahead, I know its boring, but first you need to sign this piece of paper saying that if you get killed, then the $100,000 that your family would get, comes to me. So go ahead and sleep, I've been wantin' a new boat" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Smiley was a cool guy.

18. nofeartruckin00

Thanks for the replys everyone, i think i've found a career i will actually enjoy doing /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. ABO

ABO Registered Member

Alot of my friends are volunteers in their local Fire Depts. and most of them have tried to become paid fire fighters in our city and they say it's tuff to get in. I think there were around 2000 applicants at the exams. I'm not sure how it works around the country. A few even went up to Boston and found the same. I don't mean to discourage you, if theres anything this country needs is more people that will help out rather than stand and watch. Good luck /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

20. nofeartruckin00

Its tough finding full time positions seems to be the common answer from people i talk to. Lots of departments are looking for volunteers, but i should probably ask if they would have openings fulltime in the near future. Thanks for the encouragement.