Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cargo container

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by 71 Blazer, Dec 27, 2006.

1. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

Anyone on here have a cargo container that they use as a shed or for storage? How well does it work?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have a 40' semi trailer that I use for a storage trailer. I took the axles out and set it on the ground. It works real good for storage of parts so the shop isn't cluttered. I wouldn't want to work in one though... it isn't very wide.

3. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

As of right now I have no shed or anything and have a little money saved up, just wondering if I should go with a shed or a storage container. I am getting sick or putting parts in my closets.

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Go with a storage container. They are cheap and getting cheaper.

Why?:D:D

The US gets hundreds (thousands?) of them everyday filled from China. Since we buy way more crap than we sell we end up with lots of empties. It's CHEAPER to build new containers in China than ship empties back:doah: The Port of Los Angeles is currently building a huge lot to store the damn things. If you have a tractor to haul it you can get them for little more than the price of scrap at any port.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I got one..

I bought a 12' refridgerated truck body for 300 bucks way back in the late 80's..no A/C unit on it,one corner smushed in from a low tree branch--but it doesn't leak after I bondoed the damaged area up,and its all aluminum,incliding the floor,which is diamond plate..but it has big holes from electrolosis where the steel bolts that hold it to the frame go!..its served me well,I stored parts,small engines,my riding mower and roto-tillers,and lots of crap I don't want cluttering up my garage!..

I only wish it were bigger--seems the more storage are you have,the more crap you drag home to fill it up with!...I could probably scrap that truck body and get much more than I paid for it now--but even 500 bucks wont build much of a shed,and you need building permits,have to pay taxes on one,etc..truck bodies and "cover it" tent garages are exempt (so far) from property taxes and permits here..easier to remove one too--a ramp truck can make it dissapear quickly and without any real effort.

Those shipping containers are expensive here--they sell for 1000 bucks usually!--I bet they are cheap at the docks though,but not many have an 18 wheeler to pick one up with--I wanted to pick up a FREE 40' trailer body I found on "craigslist" nearby--but the cheapest I truck driving friend I had wanted 250 bucks to drag it 15 miles to my house!--and my mother said "Don't you DARE bring more crap in MY yard!.:doah: --so I have to stick with what is here already...

I have seen tractor trailer boxes made into garages by placing two side by side,and cutting the walls in the "middle" out,and adding a peice of channel iron for a "header",and an overhead door from a house garage added..crude but effective!..:crazy:

:crazy:

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The empties are sent back for a few years until they become "unusable" for their intended purpose. These containers are also used here to get stuff to the east or west coast from the midwest.

The container ship has to go to china to get more containers that are loaded, so why not return the empties?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes we have one. It works really nicely. Dad uses it for his work supplies and tools. Hes had it for many years. Its rusting away at this point, but still works great. Moved it from our old house to the new one recently. Made moving that stuff really easy(well in comparison to moving load after load of the stuff).

Only issue, it looks pretty redneck when you get down to it. Not a problem for us(behind the pole barn which is a good bit off the road) but it was a bit of an issue at our old house. When Dad got it their were woods next to our place. Then they clear cut that for power lines and you had this trailer sticking out like a sore thumb next to the garage. He painted it the same color as the garage to make it blend it, but it only marginally helped.

You can see it all the way on the right, barely.
    [​IMG]

8. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I have one I use for job site storage. it works great, but at a little under 8' wide (mine is 8x20) it can get hard to get to the back of it. It is really secure and weather tight, but the black widow spiders love it. also it is like a huge solar oven out here in AZ, so i cut a 12x24" opening at the back end, welded up burglar bars, and installed and end gable screen vent behind the bars to keep out some of the bugs. Venting it helped a bunch.
    Here in AZ the going rate is $2200-2700 for a 20', and $2600-3000 for a 40' (both cleaned up, painted and delivered):eek1: .

9. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Out on Guam, they are used for that purpose all of the time. Two 40's (or 2 40's and a 20' in a "U" shape) set 20-30 FT apart with the center covered makes a great shop. When properly anchored they are pretty much indestructable (hurricanes, etc.). If you use a steel one, you can weld to it when you build shelves, etc.

I guess it depends on what the containers cost, and how much room you have. If you're going to get a container for cheap, go for it. Another thing to think about is that if you use containers for storage and have to relocate you can always just mob the container. Not always cheap, but a good alternative to packing and unpacking.

10. JC_

JC_ Registered Member

11. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

There was a guy in central Missouri that welded 3 of them together. Gave him a 25x45 foot "shop". I met him one time so I don't have any pictures but...
    it sounds redneck enough to work.
    George

12. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

That link was pretty much what I'm talking about. When welded to the rebar, etc., they are sterdy through category 5+ level winds. The roof can be too, if you use enough support and screws. Running a couple of steel cables over the sheeting helps too. I'd put the containers a foot or two off the ground to raise the roof height and protect the containers from insects and pests. I would insulate part of it and climate control it, too.

13. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That link was pretty cool. In good condition they are weather and water tight. I deliver these for constrution storage and home storage. When the flood hit in June, alot of these almost floated away. The 40s weigh about 8K, and the 20s about 4k, so I think they would work for a hurricane or possibly tornado. At work they sell a good one for aboot $3k for a 40, dunno bout a 20. I could probly get some cheap, but have no where to put them!!!

14. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

they are awesome ..
    I used 6 8 x20 footers when I moved to vacant land.. selling them off as I emptied them out.. keeping the last two... I had them wired with interior/exterior lights and electricity and generator ready
    they were "new"/.... 2200 each.. used one time from china to here

I see them tricked out with rollups.. man doors.. windows.. vents..fans..

When I move again Im going to buy 2 40 foot hi cubes (aluminum).. they arent as popular bacause they are oversize... perfect for shops because they are taller (9 foot)..
    In my case I put a roof over them for killer lockup storage after I built my shop.. I would definately use them again.. especially if I move to vacant land and build...
    One caveat though.. depending on where you live your local governemnt might not like them on site permanently.. in my case the county required me to build tie down footings for earthquakes and chain them down.. dont ask me its friggin goofy california... nothing makes sense here.. if those things started bouncing around there wouldnt be a building standing in the state

container1.JPG

klr outside.jpg