Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cargo lamp wiring diagram?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

Does anyone happen to have a wiring Diagram for a 1980 Chevy Pickup on the Cargo lamp on the back of the cab. I'm working on a truck and the Switch is getting power to both sides and the Lamp won't work. It's been spliced into once or twice and I'm just trying to fix what's wrong before I rewire the whole thing. Thanks.

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Its prob in the lamp housing itself (poor connection). Check for power at the lamp connectors, if none check the wire going into the lamp housing. If none there then its prob a broken wire.

3. Mudbug1979

Cargo lamp

The bulb connection has power on both wires (white and orange). I check the connections at the plug inside the cab and they both had power. Now is it suppose to have power running to both sides of the bulb? I didn't think it was but this truck is all messed up. The inside Cargo lamp switch has power on both connections of it too. Is the bulb suppose to be grounded by the housing itself?

4. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

I don't have a scanner but the two wires on the dome, a wht which is a ground circut and a orn which is the power both go to the light switch so the best bet is try a new switch and it looks like the orn is hot all the time

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Orange is hot all the time and White is grounded at the door switch. Door opens white grounds out.

Orange comes out of the fuse panel and under the carpet if memory serves to slightly behind the drivers door behind the side panel. There it goes into a connector where it splits into two. One goes up the B pillar and under all the trim to the front dome light. The other goes into the topper in a hole near the bolts that hold the topper on, on the drivers side.

Pretty sure the whites run right along with these as well. That's about all I can remember.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

look under the rug...

Those orange and white wires can get pinched under the floor mat or rug,and ground out,or get cut--most of my trucks have had those wires damaged after many years of being "under your feet"--If you have power at the bulb socket though,the wires must be ok--does it work when you turn the headlight switch counterclockwise,but not when the doors open??--or is it dead all the time?...:confused:

7. Mudbug1979

Cargo lamp on rear of truck cab

The swich and plug is hot at all times on both sides (white & orange). All of the rest of the Interior lights work. When I checked the switch it has power on both the white and the orange side. My question is , Can I cut the white wire and just ground to the cab and possibly make it work. It's about to get on my nerves and the eletrical department is definently not my department.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

my wiring diagram sucks!

I have been trying to trace the orange and white wires for you in my wiring diagram book,but all I have is suburbans wiring listed for the dome light and cargo lamp(I assume you are trying to make the one that shines in the bed to work,not the interior light)--my book shows the "cargo" light having a separate switch,in addition to the headlight switch,which evidently only turns on the interior light,you have to turn the "cargo light" switch to light that one...

As far as I can tell by the wiring diagram,the orange wire is hot,and the white should be ground(as already noted)but you say your white wire has power too??--if its a ground it should not have any juice!!--It appears the cargo light switch completes the ground circuit to the white wire,so grounding it should turn the light on--but if you have power in the white wire,some thing is wrong there--maybe wires have melted together somewhere and are cross connected or something,or the switch has failed internally and is sending power to the wrong wire...guess all you can do is try it--if grounding the white wire turns it on,you could just put another toggle switch in line to turn the light on and off,and by pass the original switch...good luck....:crazy: