Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cargo Space solutions. ***PICS*** Update on Page 4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Sep 30, 2006.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    Welp, in the latest installment of the K5 Blazer project, I decided to focus on the interior, mainly how to utilize space a lil better. The Blazer is pretty spacious for what it is, esp. compared to modern SUVs.

I rarely tote anyone around in the backseat, I think I did it once in the 3 years Ive owned this thing. 99.9% of the trips will either be solo or jus one other passenger. Some may say, "Jus fold the rear seat forward to give more space." While this is a novel idea , one of which Ive done in the past. But here is the downfall to doing that. You do gain space behind the folded seat. But the space you lose is the foot well area behind the passenger and drivers seat. Meaning there is very limited space there and no room for such things like coolers, etc.

So, on a long trip with alot of gear, you obviously may want to put a cooler or some extra quick grab gear jus behind the pass. seat. With the rear seat folded up, that is impossible.

The other aspect is the weight. The rear seat weighs between 50-60lbs +/-. As anyone knows, weight is killer, esp. for off roading and trail riding. Why lug around extra weight if ya dont need to?

Anyways, I had an idea of using a Bed Extender Rack. I figured it could work the same way as they do for pickups. I went to local topper place and asked if they had any used ones, They did. So I picked one up for $75bux with no hardware. Which was fine, cuz I doubt I couldve used anything supplied anyways. Once I picked up the rack, I headed to HOmeDepot to pick up an assortment of brackets, etc. Things that I thought would work. Then headed home to begin the lil adventure. lol

First task was remove the rear seat, this consisted of 3 big bolts. got them out and removed rear seat.

Here is the empty space

[​IMG]

Next was to secure the front of the bars. Im using a Galv. pipe clamp. This is not my final solution, but its one that ill live with now. Ill get something beefier in the future. Im using the existing Seat bolts and Seat holes to mount. Figured , no reason to reinvent the wheel and drill unnecessary holes

[​IMG]

Next was to secure the back portion of the bars. There was an existing hole thru the mount and bars for the hardware that comes with the bars, I simply drilled this out bigger and went all the way thru the wheel well. So its nice an secure. This also keeps the bars from rotating if gear is pushed hard against it.

[​IMG]

Here is other side, high up in the wheel well. I used fender washers for added support

[​IMG]

Here is the Rack installed. Its not as high as Id like, But ive contacted the topper ppl and asked them to keep an eye out for another one. What I can do is take the 3 hole spacer and run two of the lower bars thru it and run an extra bar on top. thatll gain me about 6-8" of cargo space on top. For now it works well.

[​IMG]

Here is some of the gear. My gear goes 3 rows deep. First row is (4) 5 gal. gas cans and recovery bag. Second row is camping and food and water (1) 5 gal. water can. Third row is all vehicle maintance gear in 2 larger motar mil. cans.

[​IMG]

Over all view. Can see gear, spare tire, shovel/axe mount and jump box w/built in compressor.

[​IMG]

Here is view looking from the pass. door behind the pass. seat. You can see the GI cans and the camping gear along with the Tan water can.

[​IMG]

Here is same view only looking between the seats. I eventually wanna work on some cargo straps and secure the gear incase of roll over. Im thinking of mounting some tiedowns somewhere to be able to racket gear down.

[​IMG]

The only thing I dont like is the curved sections of the rack, this kinda eats up room if you put something square in that space.

ive still got plenty of room on the sides and by the wheel well for more gear or to mount other stuff like, onboard air or CO2 tank, invertor, etc.

Soap that is my project. The rack can be pulled out as quick as the rear seat can. Jus 4 bolts and its out.

Soap that is the latest greatest project. Im sure there are variations I couldve tried or fabricated, but this was relatively easy to do and wasnt too expensive.

2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Thats a nice setup! Very organized. I like it.

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Man, you've GOT to ratchet that gear down. That lot will give you a serious headache in a roll or even getting some unexpected air. Tie it down my friend, it ain't worth the risk.

4. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Yeah goin to work on that. was jus looking to see where to mount some cargo tie down thingys.

5. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Uhh, no. That's just bungie cords, that won't hold ONE gas can, never mind four. Figure on 40#+ of gas and whatever the can weighs ... EACH ... you've got a few hundred pounds of fluid back there.

Gotta be non-stretchy, like ratcheting straps, and at some point the attachments to the bed are gonna go.

Course, eventually you start rollcage... and then you grow ever closer to the darkside of trugginess =))

-- A

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No offense intended, but I think the 20 gallons of fuel is not such a good idea. I am pretty sure it's not even legal to have that inside the enclosed passenger compartment, it's certainly not safe IMO, and lastly I don't think it's necessary.

I can't recall ever burning through over 30 gallons of fuel while wheeling or even on a long wilderness camping excurison. I honestly think if you really need that much more fuel you'd be better off with a custom 41 gallon tank and a 5 gallon reserve mounted on the exterior of the truck.

The cargo extender looks like a great idea though...:bow:

Rene

8. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

LoL..yeah ive thought about a full cage with the back section closed off. But thats awhole lotta $$$$ and time. Ill get some cargo tie down anchors like this

[​IMG]

I jus want to mount them so they are the most vesatile and not binding on teh straps and if I move gear around. Im thinking of 4 of them on each side of the wheel well. What ya'll think?

9. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I think the ppl of NOLA (during Katrina) that all ran outa gas tryin to leave the city will beg to differ with you. ;) . This isnt JUST a trail rig. I live in hurricane alley, if I need to go, I dont want to be a slave to the system or risk running outa gas. This is a multi purpose rig. I want it to do it all.

As far as legal, dunno.

As far as safe, the cans are NATO w/ new seals, they dont leak, no fumes, no problems. Ive been doin this for 3 years now and have never had an issue.

Ive thought about getting the custom rear bumper customized some more and moving 2 of the cans outside.

I plan to do a 1-2 week trip out west to check out the old mining roads, so I wanna make sure ive got gas.

10. tRustyK5

Well, then I'd invest in a 41 gallon tank and run one or two of those NATO cans on the exterior of the truck. It's not hard to make mounts for those.

Again, I don't mean any offense...but there are better alternatives IMO.

Rene

11. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Should be fine on the floor but put a plate or large washers under the floor skin too as it's kinda thin and could pull through in a worse case scenario.

12. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

None taken. Im jus making do with the resources at hand. I may look into other options. Id luv to have a 41 gal. tank that would definetly solve part of the problem. lol.

Dont get me wrong, Id prefer not to have the gas cans inside. Jus gotta work on the solutions.

13. tRustyK5

Well, call me 'nervous' but I'd really hate to hear how a fellow CK5er got turned into a crispy critter while fleeing a hurricane...:p:

Rene

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Those tie-downs are much larger & heavier than needed.

I use footmans loops along with 1" webbing and Fastex Buckles from marine suppliers. I also have a variety of buckle straps for lashing down the odd what-nots that only ever seem to go on one trip. Can get those from McMaster for less.

If determined to use something that folds flat when unused you use a pull-up loop like this one.

15. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

IMHO none of the anchors so far are really up the task. Think of the weight and forces we are talking about countering.

The big problem with everything so far are the mounting base material and the amount of material around the bolt holes. Remember inertia when tying down your gear, it is a lot easier to keep the load in place if it NEVER gets moving, ie use ratchet straps, and forget any plastic buckles! You can get 10 000 lb and up loops that bolt (use proper grade hardware) for only a few bucks.

When you do end up tying the gear down consider using the tie downs to keep the load from shifting forward as well as up, that gate was designed to keep a load from rolling off the back of the truck under acceleration and bumps, not from a load shooting forward in an accident or under hard braking.

And like already mentioned that fuel, even if needed would be better off outside the truck. Even if only to protect the rig from idiot kids looking to torch a truck! A larger fuel tank is not only safer but puts the weight where you want it low COG.

16. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Yeah I understand. Ive actually got Insurance lady coming over to look at Blazer. ive got too much money invested to not have full coverage. So. ALL that gear is out of it and the rear seat back in it. So its OEM inside for now. lol.

I may rethink the gear situation and what not.

Where can I get a 40 gal. gas tank that will jus bolt up to the Blazer?

17. tRustyK5

18. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Northwest metal fab. They have a bolt-in 43 gallon tank. There is a write-up somewhere around here.

19. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I found only one article on it. I wonder how many others have used their tanks.

It seems im back to the drawing board for my gear situation. lol. Oh well. :D

20. tRustyK5

I recall a few guys were running that tank. Desert Rat's tech article is pretty damn good though.

Rene