Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carjacking near my old neighborhood

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by randy88k5, May 30, 2006.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Nov 8, 2004
    I worked just a few blocks from this place. Offroaders would come into the store all the time. I never offroaded my Blazer there, but I had plans to when I hooked up with some old friends later in the summer. Guess I wont now. Its amazing how bad certain areas get...

From Washingon Post, Monday, Metro section...

At least a dozen motorists were injured yesterday, some seriously, after a band of men armed with semiautomatic weapons carjacked three vehicles in Prince George's County and then crashed two of them into other vehicles as they fled in different directions.

The six gunmen, police said, appeared to be targeting people who had taken advantage of the nice weather and holiday weekend to ride off-road vehicles in an area of Prince George's known as the "gravel pits," a stretch of land and trails southwest of Laurel. They all remained at large last night.

Late yesterday, police were still trying to piece together the chaotic sequence of events. They were especially concerned because of the brazenness of the crimes and the fact that all of the men were heavily armed.

"We are dealing with very, very violent people . . . doing this in broad daylight, during a very busy holiday weekend," said Cpl. Diane Richardson, a Prince George's police spokeswoman. "We want to get them identified and apprehended quickly."

The carjackings began about noon, police said, when six men in a white Jeep Liberty sport-utility vehicle pulled up to a Chevy Silverado pickup parked near Van Dusen Road and Virginia Manor Road. Police said the truck's driver, who was standing nearby, had apparently gone to the area with his two children to ride motorbikes.

The six men brandished weapons and took the Silverado, which had three dirt bikes in the truck bed, Richardson said.

Using the two vehicles, the men then pulled around to another section of the trails, apparently targeting other off-road vehicle riders, Richardson said.
    The gunmen stole two more pickups, a green Dodge Dakota and a black and grey Ford F-150. The group split up and then fled in the white SUV and the three stolen vehicles.

Shortly after police were notified of the stolen Dakota, a Prince George's officer saw the vehicle getting onto the Capital Beltway near Route 1, Richardson said, and pursued it.

"I heard the siren, and within seconds I saw the suspect car," said Lisa Guba, who had been driving on the outer loop of the Beltway near New Hampshire Avenue. "All the other cars were trying to get out of the way, and a motorcycle got clipped," she said. It crossed several lanes and crashed.
    The driver of the stolen Dakota left the Beltway but then lost control while going south on New Hampshire in Montgomery County. It plowed into other vehicles near Fox Street before coming to a stop, police said.

Thirteen other cars were involved in the pileup, which sent 10 motorists to hospitals, said Lucille Baur, a spokeswoman for Montgomery police. None of their injuries was life-threatening, Baur said. She asked that anyone with information about the crashes call the collision reconstruction unit at 301-840-2435.

The driver of the stolen Dakota fled on foot, eluding police, according to witnesses. Inside the car, police found a TEC-9 semiautomatic handgun. New Hampshire Avenue was closed in both directions for hours while police reconstructed the crash.

During those incidents, the stolen Ford F-150 was also in a crash, police said. The driver slammed into a vehicle at Rhode Island and Howard avenues in Prince George's.

"According to witnesses, the driver of the F-150 went right through the intersection and plowed into a Honda," Richardson said.
    Two people in the Honda were seriously injured, she said. The person driving the stolen F-150 also fled on foot before police arrived.
    Late yesterday, police were searching for the white Jeep Liberty, which possibly was stolen, and the silver Chevy Silverado, license plate number 71N712.

When the Silverado was last seen, it still had three dirt bikes in the bed, she said.