Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carnage x2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

What a day. If I typed it all out it would be a novel, but let's just say it feels good to be home. My hubby and I will be sharing the Cavalier for awhile. His truck is 2 hours away. Mine came home on a trailer. I owe a lot to my husband's friends for driving about 5 hours round trip to come get us. <sigh> I left home knowing my ps pump is on it's way south but that is not what broke. It is kinda noisy. My driver's side mirror glass fell out at the campround. Maybe that should have been a sign to me of what would happen... it didn't break and I don't believe in luck, but it was strange how it just fell right off the truck. Anyhoo - get on the Pipeline trail this afternoon and I'm having a blast. I climbed rocks for my first time and did fine. Got to pull someone out of a mudhole. Got stuck, twice, but not too bad. All was well. It felt great to be there. Then one of the guys with us, who has I'd say around a '79 Bronco went into a mudhole that looked harmless. Well, he got stuck pretty bad. It was deep. Another Bronco guy tried to pull him out with his brand new 3" strap that he got for $20 /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif and the strap broke right away. LOL. I had gotten stuck in that same spot last time we were there and suggested pulling him out the way he went in. I love pulling guys out so I hooked 'er up. Well it wasn't coming out easy. I have a 2-ply, 4"x30' strap that I mount to my hitch using a clevis. I figured out I'd need to get just a little running start, not much, to yank this guy out. So I got going just a little. I mean I had like 6' to travel before it would be tight. The impact was WAY worse than I thought it would be and there were lots of bad noises. My husband informed me that my rear driveshaft was on the ground. Geez. Not too bad but then we looked more and here is the damage:
    Driveshaft yoke broken at the front end.
    Transfer case (NP241) flange that comes off the back, busted off.
    The slip yoke thing, with the end of the shaft on it; gone
    I removed the broken shaft and figured on going home (2 hours) with front wheel drive. But the t case was leaking. I took the broken flange and electrical-taped it onto the t case itself and that was fine. However, the small piece of shaft that was stuck in there was bent. That came completely out before we got to pavement.

Hubby was next to try. He has the biggest truck of the 4 we had there. He did successfully pull the front bumper and also the rear hitch off the guy's truck. The stuck one didn't budge. Trev got a good go at it and ended up breaking both Dana 44 axle shafts at one time. We just replaced them within the past month. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

We even tried hub's truck *and* the stock bronco at the same time to pull the guy out but just broke our little old strap.

That big strap of mine is REALLY tough.

So we left the stuck truck and headed back to the end of the trail. That guy will need to go back tomorrow with some heavy equipment, we figure. We were going up a steep, sandy hill. I was spinning at the top and dug a little bit of a rut. Got pulled up (stock Bronco again, argh). Hubby was next. Got almost to the top, going fast enough to make it up, hit that rut, front end came off the ground and there was another loud sound and I saw the guys all running over there. Tranny fluid everywhere. That Bronco actually pulled the both of us to a bar up the road. When we took a closer look, Trevor's entire tranny case is cracked, from the top of the bell housing to the opposite end. We have some WONDERFUL friends who drove the 2 hours to pick us up and bring us home, with a trailer. Hub's truck is down there at someone else's house. Here is what we will need to get my truck going again (did I mention it's my daily driver??? Ouch)
    PS Pump
    Rear driveshaft
    Transfer case flange *if* nothing got bent inside, otherwise a whole case

Hub's truck:
    Rear brake line (got broken off last night on a trail)
    Tranny
    Front axle - he'll have to upgrade to D60, since he keeps breaking D44 shafts - this is I think 4 in the past 2 months!

Dang that was long. A lot of good things happened before tonight. I'll post about them tomorrow when I have pics loaded onto the computer.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

sorry to ehar about your bad luck. i hope aside from all the bad stuff you still had fun. i am also sorry i cant help you with the pars you need.
    Grant

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

To bad your so far away, I've got a 208 case for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Damn, sounds more like Carnage x20. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif That really sucks, but unfortunately it's part of the sport. Good luck getting both trucks back on the road.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a parts 241 out of an IFS truck. I'm pretty sure a lot of stuff interchanges between it and yours. Especially the generic stuff like the slip yoke parts...let me know exactly what you need and you can have it for the cost to ship.

Rene

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sorry to hear that. At least you can say your rig is NO poseur! If you are going to keep the 241, I think you can eliminate the slip yoke and go fixed yoke (you need a new rear shaft anyways), and it would save you from having the same problems. I know time and $$$ are going to be issues so it may not be in the cards now, but maybe something to think about later if you continue to wheel.

Good luck, and I hope you get it back on the road.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

WOW what a rough ride!
    I hate mud.
    Did I mention how much I hate mud?
    That is the reason why.

8. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Now i feel bad for not being able to make the trip and help you two out /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif . If ya need anything picked up/dropped off, let me know.

9. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Yeah, we expect to break some stuff. This was the worst yet. I'm sure hub's truck will be undriveable til spring now. Good thing his is just a toy. Mine, needs to get back on the road asap. I guess in a way it's a good thing, because we have to share the economical car for work. I don't go to work til hub gets home. And I tend to just "run to town" for this or that during the day. This way I'm stuck home, get more work done here, and not spend so much $. So it's ok. I just feel so bad how much we broke!