Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carnage!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Sorta-
    [​IMG]

Ya get what ya pay for. 1/2" NPT tap from Napa= cheap garbage. I was turing that tap with a 8" crecent wrench when it broke. :blink: Ya, the crecent wrench is pretty ghetto for turing a tap.....McMaster here I come. :flipoff2:

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I was expecting a motor with a hole blown through it.....:mad: :grin: :grin:

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

McMaster-Carr's stuff isn't much better IMO. They're a national supplier for us at work, and I'm not overly impressed with anything they sell us...plus they're a rip off.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Cheap and from NAPA? I doubt it. Garbage, quite likely.

And as far is the type of carnage, that's about the only kind Joe and I can have these days... :(

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I found the real reason it broke today....I was tapping a hole in one of my covers for the drain plug. I had it bolted to by test housing to hold it steady. Previously I had put an old carrier and ring gear in there to double check clearances and stuff. I was looking at the carrier today with no cover on it...I noticed that one of the teeth on the ring gear had a huge chunk missing from it...What happened was the tap went far enough into the housing to hit the ring gear, breaking my tap and busting the tooth off the ring gear, should I have noticed and stopped before the tap broke? Prolly, but I had to get it done to ship to an ebay buyer the next day...Had the tunnel vision. Went and bought a nice new t-handle tap wrench and got that tap warrantied....works really good now.:grin:

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Hey i thought you said you were doing it on my cover, i thought i was going to be famous for a second there:D

7. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a guy i use to work w/ would say "you know a tap fractures a little every time u use it." it is just a matter of time before they break. if that is true i guess the better ones just take longer till they break.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Good taps usually have a countersunk center hole on the driven end. makes it easy to clamp the part to a drill press, drill the hole, chuck a 'center', and use the center to make sure the tap goes through straight and true.

Taps are most likely to break when they don't go through the hole straight, especially on thicker material.

At least you didn't break it off in a blind hole...

Rene

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i got a full set of taps/dies cheap from canadian tire for 25 bucks metric and imprial

up to 1/2 corse and fine thread, not the best but not the worst.
    grented for life, tap gets a little dull? its ok clamp it in a vice and snap it off, down to the store for a fresh sharp new one!:grin: