Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carnage...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Feb 25, 2007.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

well, think rene (tRustyk5) can relate to a portion of this story... :D

well, my buddy asked me to take him out into the forest today and he'd buy the fuel. so i took a couple of buddies out to Goat Mountain today near oregon city, oregon. i was anticipating it not being a very successful day, as i don't have a locker yet, and i knew the rocks were going to be wet.

i forgot that it snows on mountains. :doah:

well, we were up in the rocks, and making SLOW progress, but having a good time. i got fed up with that trail tho and decided to take my buddies out to see the view... not from today, didn't bring the camera, but this is where i took them:

[​IMG]

well, we went alone today, which is something i vowed never to do, but i was going to just stay on really simple stuff. we continue down the trail a ways, it's super easy riding and there's a significant amount of snow on the ground but it's not slippery and there's tread marks from other wheelers...

then all the tracks stopped. i was uncomfortable backing out of this tight trail, so i decided i'd try to press on as i'd been doing real well in the snow. everything went real well like this for a while, but then i got on a slope and slid down and ultimately got stuck against a tree.

a guy with a jeep came down... he was an idiot, didn't know what he was doing, but he had a winch, so i was nice. well, he got me out. then he couldn't get back out of the trail and was freaking out because my truck was getting close to his... heaven forbid that a so-called off-road truck would get a scratch! anway, after some interaction with him i got frustrated and figured i'd give my idea to keep pressing on another shot. that was dumb.

got stuck real bad. hiked a mile or so thru the snow to get cell service. no boots - just my shoes filling w/ snow. then i realized my phone wouldn't call out because it got wet. my buddies phone worked, but didn't have service or battery! :doah:

my wife called and i was able to answer and i told her what was up and that she needed to contact some people for me. then i sent my buddy back to the truck to our other friend who stayed there because he started to panic a bit.

i decided to walk a bit to keep the circulation in my feet, and sure enough the vultures started circling me. that made me laugh. anyway, after waiting a while, a guy w/ a suzuki came by and they said they'd help me out.

so we attatched the winch and pulled me ( we had to attatch him to a tree to anchor him). but i just kept sliding down hill. then he decides he'll try pulling the front of my truck back up the hill... no success. tried puling from behind again, this time i ended up with my drivers door really smashed up against a tree, and before i could have him stop winching, my mirror was shoved thru my window and it shattered. :o needless to say i have a crazy dented up door now (anyone out there need to get rid of a driver's door??). i'll get pics tomorrow - it's REALLY hammered. this is why i mentioned tRustyk5. :wink1:

anyway, we decided we had to cut down the tree if i was going to get out of there. so, we sawed it down, so i have a date this spring when the snow melts to go plant a douglas fir. well, then i had a helluva time getting up outta there. kept getting hung up on the axle w/ the stump, by this time it's dark and i had to get under my truck and cut that stump down further. we had to dig all the snow away from the truck so i would have enough traction. FINALLY got myself out, no winch. got to the top of the hill, but they didn't feel comfortable having me back up and go out the way we came in for fear of me going back into the same spot i was in - so i was going to have to blaze my own trail thru the snow for quite a long distance w/ snow up to my bumper.

the father of the guy who had the truck has athsma, so it came to a point where they were going to have to get him off the mountain, so i sent one of my buddies with them and made up the excuse that he was super cold so i could make sure they'd come back for me. when they left i started to panic a bit... it was wierd being stuck in the snow alone with my friend. we were in the position where you are able to move forward about 4 feet, then back up, dig the snow out, and do it again.

i had to take a break and warm my feet. my buddy and i prayed a bit, and then i figured i'd give it another go. it was amazing - i went about 400ft thru snow up to my bumper with NO issue at all! it freaked me out and i got stuck again. started digging and got nothing. finally i said, "god, i need a miracle - i'm tired, cold and need to get home." not more than 2 minutes later a group of 4 trucks showed up, 3 guys pushed on the back of my truck and i was off again and made it another 400 feet out of the trail and onto the road with no issue. it was insane!

we took them out for dinner afterward because they spent a good 4 hours or more helping us out.

pics tomorrow of my smashed up door - nothing else was damaged.

congrats... you made it thru my book! ;)

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

No harm, no foul and a little cheap education on why not to go alone. Good story.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Sure you dont mean Mikey with the bashed in door?

Ive had that happen beofre.. I hate going alone

4. primergray4x4

primergray4x4 Registered Member

[​IMG] GREAT ride .... those are the ones everyone will bring up again an again. The best part is everyone made it out in one piece an a scare for the story.

[​IMG]

5. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks for the reminder not to wheel alone. we all need a little wake up call now and again to bring us back to reality of getting stuck. it can happen all to easily.

6. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Great story man! I've had a lot of those kinds of experiences and they all could have been avoided with a little thought on my part. The worst was when the GF rolled her truck off a mountain outside of Santa Fe. Me, the gf, her two kids and 5 puppies had to walk over 6 miles to get back to a road. I was kicking myself in the ass the entire time thinking how stupid I was.

7. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Glad you made it out all right man, and didnt have to go all Survivorman or anything.:wink1:

8. colbystephens

yeah, i thought of mikey too, but i don't know him personally. rene was out in the snow once with some people and he had a bad spotter who brought him around a tree and he slid into it, smashing the passenger door in, breaking the window. he had to dive some ungodly distance home in the snow w/ the window down freezing his arse off.

pics in a little bit. :)

9. colbystephens

well, i had a bit of trouble getting the photo to show the actual depth of the dent - i realize now i had the camera on the wrong setting. anyway, its so dented that the window crank wont work - even if the window had been down, it would have broken. anyway, without further ado....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ihave been wondering how to tighten my wing window lock so it wont whistle... :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

neat shot...
    [​IMG]

and i broke my chair too - so it's constantly in a slightly reclined position :doah:

[​IMG]

it was 15 yrs old... :doah:[​IMG]

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Good story - glad everything turned out OK.

That 1stGen on Boggers looks kick-ass.
    The window decorations on the center K5 (yours??) look good, too. :bow: :D

11. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Dude! Now I'm sorry my rig was not trail worthy yet:(

What year is your Blazer? I saw a complete blazer minus drive train on Craigs list down here for $300. I could use some parts off of it and drag the rest up to you for the door etc if it would work.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Colby, it sounds like you were very fortunate...wheeling alone in the mountains of the PNW in winter is a good way to become a statistic. :eek1: :eek1:

Your door looks a lot like mine did, except my door handle was ripped right off, mirror was shattered. I slid into 6 different trees at Walker Valley ORV. It was a planned run with 7 or 8 other club members so we weren't alone. It was not a planned snow run though...we all got through the guardian obstacle to get into the park and it bgan snowing lightly. Within an hour it started really coming down...then we got lost. At the worst we were slogging through 2 feet of wet snow all taking turns getting stuck. :doah:

My side glass shattered when I hit the last tree, and it was arrogant spotting on someone else's part, plus my own stupidity for listening to the guy when in my gut I knew better. I was hooked on the tree pretty hard...but was pretty hot about the whole thing so I just gunned it and did the rest of the damage.

My drive home was almost 80 miles, it was in the 20's and most of the drive was in near white out conditions. The I-5 was down to one lane moving at about 20 mph, snow was drifting etc etc. I haven't see it like that before or since.

At least doors are pretty cheap...and at least you guys made it out alive and with all yer fingers and toes still attached.

Rene

13. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

:haha:Now I don't feel quite so dumb.

14. colbystephens

W7NB - it's an 83. :) let me know whatcha find out!!

rene - i was only 5 miles or less from a town - i would hardly even consider it to be out of portland. there was no real life threatening situation, just frustration because i needed my truck un-stuck b/c it's my dd and i had tons of homework to do this weekend. i don't believe wheeling alone is a good idea, and i did make a dumb decision, but there was next to no chance of me becoming a statistic.

mikey - you're still dumb - my door is still attatched:wink1: :D

15. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Will doors off an 88 suburban fit? There is one here for sale for $600 that I wouldn't mind snatching the motor out of for a rebuilder and a few other parts - would share the rest:D

16. colbystephens

yeah they'd work. i'm only interested in spending about $25-30 bux right now tho... max. i'm thinking about getting a sheet of clear plastic and screwing it in over the hole and then sealing it up for now. funds are EXTREMELY limited at the moment. the fuel for yesterday was paid for by one of my buddies...

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Glad you got out OK..

Well,at least you got home safely!...sucks about the door,but you managed not to waste the whole side of the truck!..shows how fast things can go downhill when off roading!..

I've always thought about adding some side protection to my K5's when I owned them,they always seem to end up against a tree or pole at some point!..I was thinking of adding the "rub rail" you often see on "P" series step vans down the side,to stiffen the sides up and ward off sideswipe damage..looks like a peice of tubing cut in half,with flanged edges for the rivets that hold it to the truck..you can bash that stuff pretty hard,and not even dent it!...kind of like a slider for the side of the truck!..

I've seen guys in NH with off road only trucks bolt a 2x10 oak plank down the sides with carriage bolts!..ugly as hell,but effective!..:crazy:

18. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

A little off topic, but are those 150mm ammo cans?

19. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I hate getting out of my truck here in the winter time, much less in OR :eek1: . Snow scares me... haven't seen it in years :haha: . And have never driven in it. Glad to hear you're ok Colby, maybe your buddies won't try talking you into wheeling by yourself again, maybe it will convince them to get trucks of their own. I have lots of friends who just love wheeling... to bad they don't have 4x4 trucks...

20. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Time for you to buy a winch. I've gone up Goat alone - but always bring a winch when I do that -