Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carnage!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Paxx, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I blew out my rear driveshaft u-joint at the pinion side. I disconnected the rear shaft and drove it home in front wheel drive.

It didn't make any funny noises on the way home but the pinion is sticking almost straight up yet the spring perches and everything else are lined up properly. Is it possible that the housing twisted on the shafts? what is the fix for this?

This is my daily driver so I need to get this figured out as soon as possible. Thnx guys
    ~Max

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

yeah sounds like you rolled the pumpkin on the tubes, looks like a 12 bolt from your profile, the fix I guess find a way to turn it back down and weld the tubes back into the housing

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had something similar happen to me. Housing is junk. Time to upgrade to a 14 bolt full floater.

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Housing is junk. Time to upgrade to a 14 bolt full floater.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was kinda thinking the same thing. Probably cost about the same too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah and it's only a 10 bolt.

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif If I just swap the rear end out for a 14 bolt will it work with my driveshaft or will it need to be modified to make it fit? I don't know the difference in pinion lengths.

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I believe the pinion length is slightly longer on a 14ff but not long enough to cause problems unless you have your differential customly rotated for some special app, in stock, I didnt have a problem nor %95 of the people on this board, the best part is if you can find a 14ff with brakes in good shape, you can tie them right in and go....

Keep in mind though this means 8 lugs on the rear and 2 spares until you convert the front over.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe the pinion length is slightly longer on a 14ff but not long enough to cause problems

[/ QUOTE ]

Pinion stickout between the 10, 12 and 14 bolts are all the same. No shorter or longer variation between any of them. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

you need to get a conversion u-joint for the shaft no biggy NAPA #447 I believe.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe the pinion length is slightly longer on a 14ff but not long enough to cause problems unless you have your differential customly rotated for some special app, in stock, I didnt have a problem nor %95 of the people on this board, the best part is if you can find a 14ff with brakes in good shape, you can tie them right in and go....

Keep in mind though this means 8 lugs on the rear and 2 spares until you convert the front over.

[/ QUOTE ]Keep in mind that there are spacers/adaptor that'll cure that problem.

11. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I think I am going to do a 3/4 ton swap. That way I get 4.10's and stronger all at once.

I do have the money. That's not an issue. It's just that I was hoping to dump all the cash into the engine /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I guess it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to dump it all into the engine though if the vehicle is already breaking apart around this one

12. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

my experience and measurments show that the 14 blt has a longer pinion. I needed to have my shaft cut when I did my 3/4 swap. just my 2 cehts though...
    -Kell-

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I found my 14bsf pinion to stick further forward than the 10b it replaced. I don't have the measurements with me, though. Just the increase in ring gear diameter would cause this, unless the bigger axles have shorter pinions.