Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carpenters" rough frame opening size for garage door ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Oct 13, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

carpenters\" rough frame opening size for garage door ?

how to determine rough frame opening size for the old common yellow fiberglass panels type garage doors ?
    i recently found one with tracks and springs and rollers and everything required, but no clue as to what size the rough frame should be for it, how do i determine this ? panels look to be 8 foot wide basically

oh and how far behind the rough opening is the door supposed to be setup ?
    i have a lot of concrete and carpentry work to do around here starting this fall nd especially next spring if i find employment soon, in order to get concrete and roof to work on/under for once, finally.. gravel is for the birds..

thanks

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Re: carpenters\" rough frame opening size for garage door ?

Garage doors don't have rough openings. They go by finished opening. Usualy its the size of the door. If its an 8' door its an 8' fin opening. This does not include the stop it goes on after the door is up. I know this sounds wierd but I've never been able to get anyone to give an RO for a garage door. I guess it just depends on what your going to trim it out with.

3. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Randy,

I have been in the garage door industry now for about 15 years and the poster below is correct, there is not real RO size. The opening is sized about 1/2" overall under the size of the door. To allow for easier installation. Like the poster below states, you still need to put stop molding on the outside of the opening.

Be careful about reusing old garage doors. Some garage doors used torsion springs, these springs are extremely dangerous to reuse, and to rewind and or wind. Please be extremely careful with this door installation.

Good luck.

Rob

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

like they said above. we always use 1 1/2" material to trim out our garage door openings so rough framing is 3" wider and 1 1/2" taller then the door size calls out. i think an new door can be had for a few hundred bucks installed these days unless you are going for an odd or extr large size.