Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carpet and mud do not mix....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Oct 14, 2003.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

yea, i learned this the hard way after my truck sat in a mudhole overnight, buried almost up to the door handles. whats the most effective way to clean it up? spray carpet cleaner doesnt work too well, and being that my grey interior is now dark brown.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

this is the PERFECT time to strip out that crappy stock carpet and install some herculiner or line-x!! carpet bad!

j

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Yup, just strip it out and spray in some bedliner. If you're going through mud up to your doorhandles it would be a wise investment.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep,When you are all done mudding for the day just open the doors and wash out the mud on the floor..........

5. thezentree

well, see, thats the thing - it wasnt up to my door handles 2 days prior to that....

this is my DD, so i dont really wanna strip out the carpet. maybe when i get a play toy K5.... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

so, short of tearin out the carpet and rhino lining the thing, whats a good way to clean all that up?

6. mudjunkie 82

Some of those "auto Detailing places have those Carpet cleaning machines that might help....................

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Eventually you'll grow some balls and rip up the carpet. Just deal with the smell and ugly color for the time being until then.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I'd take the whole carpet out so you can use the hose, some dishwashing detergent and a scrub brush on it. You can also get all the mud out from under it at the same time, and replace the padding that will always smell like that mud from now on...

9. thezentree

thanks shaggy, glad i got a useful answer.

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not likely to get one if your not hardcore /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Seriously though....
    take it out spray out the blazer and check your electrical connections under the carpet. While the carpet its out take it to the car wash and hang it up on those floor mat cleaners (it will still be mostly on the ground). spray it out a couple times, spray the cleaner stuff on it and rinse it out real well. Let it set outside and dry. Leave the windows on the truck down a little while its airing out. Then when everything is dry put it all back together.
    I hope this helps, unlike some of the comments posted above /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

same thing happened to me..and thats when i took my carpet out..i love it..i still have to herculine it..but i can go out mudding..and get it dirty as i want..and step in and not have to worry bout nothing getting dirty.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif plus not to mention wet carpet eats away at ur floors

12. thezentree

[ QUOTE ]
    Not likely to get one if your not hardcore /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

my wallet determines my hardcoreness /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

thanks for a straight up answer, however.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I hope this helps, unlike some of the comments posted above /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hey! dont blame me! i was just tryin to make a suggestion. I had really nasty wet/dirty/mildewy carpet at one point, and I took the bedliner plunge and have never looked back. soooo glad I dont have carpet. to each their own, I was just trying to suggest an alternative is all. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif if for nothing else, bedliner is better cause it doesnt hide/promote rust. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey! dont blame me! i was just tryin to make a suggestion. I had really nasty wet/dirty/mildewy carpet at one point, and I took the bedliner plunge and have never looked back. soooo glad I dont have carpet. to each their own, I was just trying to suggest an alternative is all. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif if for nothing else, bedliner is better cause it doesnt hide/promote rust. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ]

I was leaning more toward the another comment above /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    I know the bedliner is good for a rig, but when you have it for a daily driver I'll take carpet anyday. Once the new bedfloor is in my plow truck, I have a can of bedliner in the garage /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. thezentree

jb, that wasnt aimed at you /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. mudjunkie 82

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Actually I was being serious!A guy that lived by me ran his truck into a lake.He took his truck to one of those places where they detail cars and they used some kind of shampoo/extractor machine to clean the inside of the truck................................................

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    jb, that wasnt aimed at you /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

cough 84_Chevy_k10 cough cough needs to keep his damn mouth shut cough cough cough /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. thezentree

about the whole bedliner thing - can you get custom colors? black wouldn't really match my interior...

if i could get a matching grey, then i might consider that later on down the road. but until then, the carpet stays. anyway, before this turns into a flamewar, thanks for the responses (all of them /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif )

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Right now the best thing to do is pull that carpet out hang it over the fence and hose it out. If you leave it in there wet it's going to rot the floors out.

For a offroad vehicle..... Hurculiner. Keeps the floors from rusting out. Make it easy to clean. I have some comercial door mats that I cut up to use as carpeting and to cut down on the noise and heat. Easy to clean.

20. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Right now the best thing to do is pull that carpet out hang it over the fence and hose it out. If you leave it in there wet it's going to rot the floors out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grim's right, get that carpet outta there ASAP. The carpet padding will never dry out in the truck under the carpet.