Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carpet and sound proofing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Oct 20, 2002.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Ok need some advice..I will be installing a new carpet kit and adding a layer of sound proofing insullation to it. Do I glue the insulation down and then glue the carpet on the insullation? Will the carpet stick to the insulation?

I am sure many of you have done this so please send some tips. Also, what did you use to treat the metal before laying down the carpet. I am treating it with naval jelly, sanding, then spraying a rust inhibitor over metal. Will that be enough? Rust is not bad.

77 k5

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Also, i am adding the sound proofing to the doors and rear cap(sides). Should I glue it on? or is there a better way to install it.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I've never redone my carpet, so I may not be the best source of info, but I don't think glueing the insulating layer to the floor is a good idea. It sure leads to a boatload of extra work if you ever have to take the carpets out.

IIRC, a few guys here have swapped in new carpets and the hardest part was cleaning all the old crap off.

Welcome to CK5, by the way!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Don't glue it. The insulation and carpet on the floors will be held in place the door strips, seats, seatbelts, etc. If it ever gets wet, and it will, gluing will cause a bigger mess when you have to remove it. In the rear, you will probably have to use a light spray type adhesive to get the carpet and insulation to stick to the wheel wells.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im telling you that sh*t thats on the wheel weels the factory used to stick the carpet with sucks a$$ to get of!!prolly just go get some new damn fender weels..how do you get that stuff of there?

thanx

6. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I replaced a bunch of my sheet metal about a year ago due to rust. I primed all sides of each peice, and then herculinered all of the parts, new and old that did not get exterior paint. Since then...I have never had a problem with rust, and more importantly, It held up great during a fire. No i would not recomend burning your truck...But since mine did, I'm glad it was on there. I really think it saved my sheetmetal. Ive seen a million reasons over the past year that I,m glad I did it...the fire was only one of them.Good luck. Also, Dont Glue nothing!!!!Trust me is all I'll say to that! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

thanks everyone...NO GLUE for me! Just got in from sanding and treating rust on floor pans. Was not bad so I think I am good for a few more years. I treated it with naval jelly, a rust inhibitor sealer and then I will coat with a rust proof coat of paint next weekend.

I am going back out in a few to sand down the interior doors for a fresh coat of paint and new panels. Changed the
    window regulators earlier today(what a PAIN).

thanks again, this site is the best

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you want to know more about sound deadning check out my (and some others) post in the audio section.

9. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

another thing you might try in the wheel well area (side panels) if you are going to carpet, i took some plywood and cut a side panel for each side, then i took the wood interior side panels and insulated and carpeted them, then i just set them in the truck and screwed them on they hold my speakers perfectly and i now have a hiding place for my amps. also don't glue the carpet or insulation down makes a mess when wet, just lay it down. again i cut plywood after sealing it so it was waterproofed and layed it on my flooring then put insulation and carpet on it, that was only done in the rear of the vehicle helps with sound proofing the vehicle at least it did with mine, also i can now kneel in the back of the truck without having those ridges in the truck leave nice indents in my knees!
    kelly

10. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

I used an air hammer and flat chisel tip. It worked like a charm. rough on the paint though (if you're worried about that).