Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carpet behind speaker magnet?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 88K5Jimmy, Oct 12, 2002.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Lookin to make some speaker enclosures to put on the lower carpeted door panel in my Jimmy. My question is would the carpet not let the magnet on the back of the speaker function properly by muffling/hindering the magnet?

Thanks
    Ross /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You can get speaker baffels. Most stereo shops carrie them. I think that would be better then carpet on the back of the magnet. Some speakers have venting through the magnet.

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks Z3PR

Anybody else?

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I think most of the rest of us are still scratching our heads wondering what you are asking.....? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Carpets and rear magnets...? I'm lost. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

is he asking would it ground the speaker...
    or would it let the mount move a little, not hold the speaker down... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Greg72

Maybe he's asking if the speaker cone would hit the carpet, and somehow prevent it from getting full extention like it's supposed to....?

Still sounds like a riddle to me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Its hard to describe without pictures. Lemme try again. The piece of carpet that is on the lower end of the door has four screw holes towards the fron of it. I was thinking about building a little speaker pod to mount to those existing screw holes. However, if I make a box on that carpet and mount a speaker in the box, will the existing carpet muffle, distort the speaker? Maybe that made more sense, hopefully.

8. Greg72

OK.....I think I get it....You want to build a "surface-mount" speaker pod on the door, and DON'T want to cut the existing door panel (or carpet) at ALL!!???

So effectively the back of your pod will be carpeted. That will not be a problem. I'd make sure there is a little bit of space there in case the speakers have a vented voicecoil. I know that on some subwoofers, the hole in the back of the magnet structure allows cooling of the voicecoil, and if you block it off the speaker can get hot and burn itself up.

So that's the basic answer....but I think if you don't do ANY cutting to get the speaker installed, it's going to stick WAAAAAY out from the door, and will probably bang your ankles a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks Greg72. I didn't now how else to descibe what I was thinking so I just had to wing it.

Thanks again
    Ross