Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carpet for my 89 K5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70_K5, Mar 21, 2002.

1. 70_K5

70_K5 Registered Member

does anyone know how carries the carpet for a 89 K-5? i have the somewhat tan int. i do not know what GM called the int. just know it is a shade of tan. now i was told GM does not offer the carpet to anyone anymore. i live in NJ and would like to know were i can get this carpet, i mainly need the front but the back would be nice also. thanks for ur help

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I used the JC Whitney carpet kit. The carpet is nice quaility, but you do have to do a fair amount of trimming to get it in. It looks good though. The carpet is pretty thick, and looks to be very durable. I would recommend it, just be prepared to spend some time getting it to fit right. I also didn't use any adhesive, I just let all the bolts and screws. It has worked well for the front seats, but the floor area of the back seat doesn't have enough screws to hold it in, so you will need some adhesive there.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

water/rust hide under carpet, do yourself a favor and herculine/duraback or rhinoline your interior! If you still like the look of carpet, put it over the top of the liner. If u plan on keeping ur rig long-term, its a great investment.

J

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Rip the carpet out and paint the floor, thats the easiest way. Thats what I did to my Jimmy /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. 70_K5

70_K5 Registered Member

this is my dads truck i had a 70 that i did carpet on and it was not bad i know it needed a lot of trimming but not bad... he does not want to do the bedliner scene again like i did in my k5. the co. we bought my carpet went out of bussiness and i have to get the color that is in the truck (the hardest part) thanks for the help tho

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My truck is an 85 K5, with tan interior. JC Whitney's color that I used was Almond if I remember right. It is darker then the rest of the interior, but looks pretty good.

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna have to side with the group and say put in some bedliner. The floor metal may be a little nasty and the bedliner will offer some added protection and insulation. Try herculiner or the morton bedliner. Herculiner is cheap and anyone can do it, alot of bang for the buck. The morton system is a 2 part deal and takes two kits to do a K5. Each kit is around $120. You use an undercoating gun to apply it and run it around 80psi. I liked the morton because its quicker, easier, and cleaner than herculiner. Don't get me wrong though, herculiner is great stuff. The spray stuff gets everywhere and I did mine when it was a gutted hull (still is, gotta get my quarter panel from HarryH3).

As for carpeting, try auto custom carpets. GM's own restoration catalog uses that carpet. I have heard good reviews about it.

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

We carry the Nifty Products Carpet Kit for the K5 Blazers here at work. I put one in last summer, it is very nice and custom made for the Blazer. Also pretty reasonable prices (especially after I give you a K5er discount!) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif You can see the Product here <a target="_blank" href=http://www.autoaccessory.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/product/AutoAccessorycom/prodNiftyframe.d2w/report?prrfnbr=180698&amp;prmenbr=402>http://www.autoaccessory.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/product/AutoAccessorycom/prodNiftyframe.d2w/report?prrfnbr=180698&amp;prmenbr=402</a>

Let me know if that works for you.