Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carpet installation/floor moisture

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Nov 12, 2001.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

For those of you that have replaced your carpet- here's a question for you- The carpet I am ordering, has the 'moisture/sound' barrier foam pad stuff included - is there any other stuff that should be put down first? I am VERY worried about rust from my snow covered boots, since the floors were just redone. they were fixed, and primered, then 2 coats of flat black rustoleum on top of the primer, should I be concerned, and buy some stuff in addition or just use the carpet pad kit? I don't want to "rhinoline" the inside, $$ issue, but maybe you guys can tell me what you did?

thanks!
    --Brandy

IF ONLY THE 3 YEAR OLD COULD TURN A WRENCH
    1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear 12 bolt dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305-

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I opted to not have carpet. I coated the floor with a do it yourself bedliner. If i was more concerned with creature comfort I would run some carpeted mats for the footwells and leave it at that. I hate rust and blame wet carpets for my floors...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

This probably doesn't help you now, but this is what I did.
    I bought the POR-15 and put it down. Great stuff.
    I personally ordered a thick rubber mat instead of carpet, but I don't see why apret could install over POR. You have the floor shifter and seat and door sills, etc. to hold it down (I don;t think much of anything will stick to cured POR.)
    Good luck!
    - -Mike

<font color=blue> The mud's on it to hide that it's more than one color.[​IMG]

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Thats what I did when I put in my new carpet. I didn't use any adhesives, I just let the seat mounts, door sills, shifter covers, etc. hold the carpet down. It has worked well so far. The carpet moves a little, but nothing horrible. And it looks a hell of a lot better then the old carpet that had huge holes in it.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Oh ya, if your worried about rust, I would just put on some more coats of rustoleum. Or bed line it and then put the carpet in.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I would suggest POR15... awsome stuff. I have my interior truck pretty much undercoated in it and it has done a great job. (And it has no protection from snow and salt) It is awsome stuff... very tough and is awazing at keeping metal sealed against water.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

7. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I would do what tRustyK5 said. The bedliner stuff will insulate it pretty good. And it is sealed and you can just hose it out. POR -15 is some good stuff too!

Peace and stuff [​IMG],

Muddin

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

8. Rowdysr

Rowdysr Registered Member

I put on the bedliner stuff. Then I installed the metalic coated insulation. Then the new carpet. It's quiet and it looks great! No more wet carpet either. GOOD LUCK

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have my entire interior herculined. Works well, and its cheap...compared to rhino-lining a fullsize rig anyway. I used about 2 gallons to do it, I got one can on sale for $70...so it wasnt to bad. No rust probs since then, and if I ever mess it up, i can always just glob some more herc on it. =) My link below has pictures...

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown