Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carpet padding

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by adamforsythe, Jun 5, 2006.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    I am going to be replacing my carpet in my k5 some time this month. I have a bunch of padding that you would use under the carpet in your house. what kind of problems would i run into if I used that on my truck?
    Thanks
    Adam

2. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure if house padding would stand up to the heat coming off your engine.I just put new vinyl in the floor of my 76' and put that radiant foil/bubble insulation down under the padding. It's inexpensive and easy to work with. You might want to put that down first.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Do you ever get the inside of your truck wet at all? Use automotive backing stands up to heat better doesn't absorb water as much. The foil stuff is good

4. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

I would avoid house carpet padding in an auto if it will be near a heat source. It may have nasty fumes released if it gets hot. I'm not sure if passenger vehicle carpet pad has to pass FMVSS 302 for flame resistance. Residential carpet pad probably has nowhere near the safety requirements as automotive grade stuff. But I could be wrong, its happened before :) Anyway I don't think jute padding is very expensive.

5. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Ok thanks I will buy some automotive padding for my floor.
    Thanks
    Adam