Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carpet/rust/undercoating questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Sep 13, 2000.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Lastnight i got a wild hair up my ass and took out all the carpeting in the back, and found that the padding was starting and trying to mold and decompose...(weird greasy mold stuff) and also found a few places where rust was begining to form, i was wondering if anyone else had any ideas or tips to prevent further rust from forming..im thinking of duplicolor "bedlinering" or rustolium the back and then putting new insulation in, also thinking of spraying the bottom of the rig with rubberized coating for rust and noise, i was wondering if there was any tips to make this look good and to do it right...?? thanks for any help!!open to all suggestions and ideas

2. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

THE FIRST THING I WOULD DO WOULD BE TO USE A WIRE BRUSH EITHER AN ELECTRIC OR MANUAL ONE AND SCRAPE ALL THE RUST OFF. TRY TO GET ALL THE RUST OFF AND WIPE IT CLEAN. THEN YOU CAN PUT IN A ROLL IN LINER OR COATING OF YOUR CHOICE. THE IMPORTANT PART IS REMOVING ALL THE RUST OR IT WILL COME BACK AND EAT UP THE METAL SOME MORE.

DAZED AND CONFUSED IN A 74 BLAZER

ZEPPLIN

3. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

You could also try out some por 15 if you wanted to keep a smooth look in the back and place the capet back down i just appiled there product around my battery tray area and i don't know if it will work out in the end because time is the determing factor but it looks nice.
    anthony

4. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

I would suggest getting some Corroless from Eastwood Company - I have used this product extensively on my vehicles. You can buy it by the pint, quart or spray. If you get a can it can be thinned to use in a spray gun. It only comes in one color (maroon), but can be top coated with almost anything. THIS STUFF WORKS! Just prep the surface with a wire wheel or brush and you are good to go.

I would also recommend the Eastwood Co. catalog as a source for many other products. But BE CAREFUL! They sell so much good stuff your bank account will suffer!

-WOODMAN 89K5

5. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

The woodman speaks the truth, corroless rocks! I applied it years ago and the rust was halted. Makes a great primer too, if you just want decent results. nothing beats a sandblaster, welder, and angle grinder for perfect factory results though. The little 99.00 wire feed welder at Wal-Mart is great for sheet metal.

"who dares wins"

6. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Woodman's right, Eastwood rules. They've got great supplies and tons of tools to make your life A LOT more enjoyable.
    Archer, $99 for a welder at Wal-Mart?! I might be coming home with a welder today!

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

8. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

We duplicolored our bed for the exact reason..to keeo it from getting rusted from water...Seems to be holding up great. Also did an undercoating to for sound...I agree tho, make sure you get all that rust off first. There is also stuff at Wal-mart for about 3.00 a bottle it removes rust down to the bare metal, with no scrubbing. Works great. Naval Jelly, but I forget the name wal-mart has on it...it is with the auto paints and primers. white bottle red label..amazing stuff... It is usually right next to the rust converter...same company... just my 2 cents,

http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com
    http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

9. EDGE

EDGE Registered Member

what's up? I've been thinking of doing the same thing,but I've been doing some research about do it yourself bedliners.If you are going to use one,use something like herculiner.The materials are way better than duplicolor.The end result looks much better and more durable.Its more like a rubber coating as opposed to a hard finish that has a tendency to crack and scratch easily.

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

11. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

thanks all for the suggestions!!...now i need some ideas about how to go about applying the undercoating...?? Also any techniques on mud and dirt removal under the body...areas to watch for...?? thanks again!!

12. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status