Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carpet

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, May 24, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok i`m tearing apart my interior and getting ready to do the floors...and my carpets in pretty bad shape....so i`m thinking of chuckin it....what do you guys think? chuck it or keep it??

what are the pros and cons of havin the carpet?

could i just maybe put some bedliner down and rubber floor mats?will i notice any different in the heat?

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a carpet that just kinda sits on my floor, isn't anchored down at all. So make sure you have something between carpet and the floor bacuse the floor will start to rust to the carpet.

I say after you repair the rust, bedline it anyway then put the carpet on top of that.

What I plan on doing after I repair my floors is to ditch the carpet because the PO put a square section and it doesn't fit very nicely over the tranny tunnel, and bolt on :bow: polished aluminum dimond plate :bow: floor mats after I bed line it, that is. My carpet absorbs a lot of water and just holds it. So it causes more rust.:crazy: I love having a carpet because it is :pimp: :doah: and I know that when I drive people it will look better than just metal. Or what I could do is put my carpet back over bedliner and then put some :bow: polished aluminum dimond plate :bow: on top of that, now that would be :pimp: :pimp1:.

Oh, and I noticed that because there is not insulation, my truck gets rather warm in the cab, especially when I wheel it.

3. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I will be redoing my floor in a few weeks so would be interested in hearing about youe progress. Also, I have the same deal with my carpet and am undecided as to what to do...I do know that no carpet = mucho hot...so I will put some type of liner on the floor and then either one of those one piece rubber mats or something...

4. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

I ditched my carpet for bedliner, if you take your time and do the bedliner right it is awesome, I have not noticed a difference in heat, but it is louder. It is very nice not having to worry about vaccuming the floor, you can just rinse it out. BigBlaze- It seems like we have had the same plans for our trucks, do you have AIM?

5. NEK5

:Dyep its BIGBLAZE433

6. NEK5

i still cant decide on what to do with the floors....there not really that pretty or anything now so i`m not sure how it would look with the bedliner????i think i`m just going to spray some primer down when i finish the floors, so it will be ok if i just through the carpet in ontop of the floors for now right...until i decide what i`m gonna do with it...?

bedline it and use floor mats? or buy new insulation and put it under carpet? what bedliner have you guys used and havent noticed the heat in the cab?

7. Janitorjim8

I love the bedliner, but i used DupliColor, biggest mistake ever, if your gonna do it yourself at least put some money into the good stuff, and personally I thought it was worth the labor, does not take more then a few hours to sand down the floors unless they are really bad

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I put carpet in my truck YEARS AGO!!!! hell I dont remember when I took it out.... I dont have any right now... however I will be doing the bedliner in the truck.. maybe even black diamond plate first... for the "LOOK"..

anyways cant do that until the crew cab swap next summer :wink1:

9. NEK5

how much do you think it would run to get it done?

10. Janitorjim8

Prices range, but in my research I found that on a budget do all the prep work yourself and have everything outta there and price will be much less, but i think around 400 to 600. The reason I did not get it professionaly done was I did not think it would have been worth the price for a "SUV" where I am not constantly throwing things in and out of the bed.

11. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I ripped my carpet out. It was filthy and smelly from the PO. I, like about everybody else here, am on a budget. That said, my floors will remain bare untill I can get around to doing some body work. Then they will be Rhino lined. Who knows, I may never get to it with this truck. I may wind up betting the body up so bad that I wont worry about it. In the mean time I found some heavy duty flat floor mats at Oreillys. It is one piece about 5'x4' square. A screw at each corner should hold it down. It sucks trying to regulate the go pedal with slippery floors. Btw, this floor mat does not have the "carpet spikes" on the bottom, and is easy to trim to fit around stuff like transferr case shifter

12. NEK5

i think i`m going to (for right now) just finish up the floor tomorrow then just spray primer the stuff inside, under coat underneath, then throw carpet back in so i can be ready for sunday..(cant wait!)...then i think i may herculine it then put carpet back on...that way the floors all sealed up and such