Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carpeting ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, Jul 2, 2004.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Anyone ever use carpeting from a carpet store rather than the molded stuff that is made for the K5? I ripped my front carpeting out yesterday. It was well worn and rotted along with the padding and tar stuff underneath. I found a place online for the front set of carpet for $96 and it's molded. I think I can get stuff from local carpet store for $50-75. Just wondering if I should just get the other though

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

it would work but usally you have a hard time getting it to conform to the contour of the floor pan

3. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

carpet is stupid!!!

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've used it in a couple of different vehicles over the years. You'll need to buy some strong thread and big needles. Why? Because you're going to have to cut out small wedges of carpet here and there to get rid of wrinkles. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You find the wrinkles and then cut out a tapered section, basically following the lower edges of the wrinkles. Once you have it trimmed so that the carpet lays flat, then you have to sew those two sections together and move on to the next wrinkle. It's a pain in the a$$ but your rig will be VERY quiet inside when you're finished. Home carpet is much thicker/heavier than auto carpet. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Pay extra special attention in the area under the gas pedal. You don't want the carpet hanging it up. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It's much less work to drop in a new piece that is already molded to the contours of the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    You'll need to buy some strong thread and big needles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't laugh but I can sew up hackey sacks from scrap leather. The easiest needles and thread to use , and would work on carpet is fishing line and leather needles. I push it through with a small needle nose. Should work on carpet too /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. bnate

bnate 1/2 ton status

Might want to check out West Marine. Little pricey but it's UV/water resistant. I really beat up my carpet and it's held together great.

....depending upon your need for detail (read: every contour vs. general sound dampening) = disclaimer

Nate