Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carquest paint any good??

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by arq, Jan 4, 2005.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I am looking to repaint my blazer, it was done (i thought) but the primer used on there was cheap and paint started falling off and cracking. anyhow, i've been looking at other paints and ran into the utherane paint from carquest. i don't want to go two stage since it's more pricy if i can avoid it.

ARQ.

2. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i was looking into that paint for a cheapo job on my 16 yr old sons S10.
    i was told it was made by PPG.

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Alot of how a paint job turns out is in the prep work.

On the other hand..My daddy always told me you get what you pay for. Ive seen some of the carquest and napa paints coem out lookin alright, Ive seen some come out lookin like cap as well.

Ive never used any of them first hand on one of my trucks but I had a buddy who ran a body shop and sometimes customers would drop stuff off with some paint and say "Hey, just spray it"

4. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

i'd say go with your budget. sure it's cheap and will only be as good as your prep work, but it stands to work out real nice if you take the time to do it right. primer is your friend even more so when going with cheap paint. sand it all smooth and lay down even coats of paint. oh and don't forget to clean off the vehicle with thinner or acetone to get off all the dust, debris, and especially oil.

5. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I have my second paint job on my 85 with carquest utherane. My first was black and I like it the best, it had the most shine, just got really worn from rock chips and mud frozen to the truck. I repainted this last july with the utherane dipalmat metallica blue, and I like it. Not as shinny, but it was a little hot that night it got sprayed.