Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carr Steps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZOffroad, Feb 25, 2006.

1. AZOffroad

AZOffroad Registered Member

I need a step on the side of my K5 - both the wife and the carpool partner struggle to get in, and they need some assistance. I am looking into the Carr steps. They have a "Super Hoop" that is 20" wide, and a "Hoop II" that is 10" wide. The wider one gives more assistance to somebody getting into the back seat, but I like the narrow one because it is less obtrusive.

Has anybody had experience with the Carr step on their K5? Which one has worked better - the 20" or the 10" unit?

And ... should I go shiny, dull, or black? :doah:

2. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I have a couple sets of the Hoop II on my Burb, I like them, but they do hang down and get caught on stuff, I would not have them if I was to wheel in the rocks, but since I only go in the mud they are OK. Mine are the shiny ones, but over time they have dulled down. The ones on the passenger side are usually always piled with mud, which in turn gets tracked into the truck, (I could care less about the passengers shoes):doah:

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

A friend of mine had the skall on his '76 after he had knee surgery. It hung down about even with the fram and got hun up on stuff, but if you need it, its a solid mount.

If you wheel a lot you could make a step out of chain. Weld some together to form the steep and leave the sides loose and it will flop around.

4. AZOffroad

Fortunately, I have a built-up CJ-7 for offroad playing. The K5 will see 99% highway usage, so I can get away with some stuff hangin' down :D

Thanks for your reply.

5. AZOffroad

What is a skall?

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That would be me typing and talking at the same time. I ment to say small hoop/ Carr Hoop II. Sorry for the confusion.

7. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had the 10" hoop on my old K5. It worked well for everything I needed. They do cake with mud but they are not a problem for anyone entering the back seat. The only possible problem was getting out of the back since you had to do a turn around and back out to use the step.

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I have the 10" Carr steps on my black K-5 for 8 years now, like you I don't use it to go rock crawling or anything.... I want to get a set of Kodak Sidewinders instead.... But moneys tight for now, maybe someday....

9. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a pair on my JIMMY Black and they are about to come off with in the month. I decided to order some from BlazenOffroad. So they will be available if you are not in a hurry. (they being the ones on my truck now) I am pretty happy with them beacause I am a BIG boy and they have help me and lots of abuse just fine; But because of the amount and type of wheelin I do they are just waiting to tear something off of my truck.
    Anywho Good luck. PM me if you have interest in them
    T-DAWG