Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carrier bearing issue.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fad2blk99, Aug 16, 2004.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

My carrier bearings on my D60 powr-lok do not fit thightly on the carrier. They aren't "loose" (as in free play) but if I pull them just right, I can pull them right off by hand /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Do ya'll think it would be okay to run it that way in a front axle? If not, what are my options? I bought this powr-lok used off ebay /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif....
    I ordered another set of bearings from Randy's R&P just in case its the bearings (also bought off ebay... NEW)

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Sounds like spun bearings or something, they definately should not slip off by hand.

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I think thats exactly what happened /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    So, is this thing useable in a front axle? I wouldn't even consider it in a rear set up...

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

That I do not know. I can't even imagine how those bearings get spun in the first place. I had a 14 bff carrier with a bearing spun on one side and the guy at Randy's R&P said it was a bad idea to use, but it was the rear.

Are you setting the gears up on this yourself? I dunno what the consequences are by using it in that situation, but you could always run it like that for now. If it will risk destroying your gears then it probably isn't worth it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Can anyone else weigh in on this one?
    I don't want to have to eat the $350+ I paid for this piece of junk and then have to turn around and shell out another $500 for a Detroit Locker (what I would get if I can't use this Powr-Lok)

6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Nevermind... I just bought a spool for $200 from Randy's R&P... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah , its bad, but you can knurl it, then it might be alright to use. And use LOTS of locktite

9. jrsheets

jrsheets Registered Member

If I'm not mistaken, don't they make some bearings that are specifically design to be slip on / slip off by hand. I mean, not like FALL off but slide on/off. I remember my grandfather talking about some when i was putting in my 4.10s. He thought it would be a good idea to get one for the pinion.

If they aren't new, no harm in getting new ones.

10. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Yup... they make "setup" bearings so you don't have to go through the struggle of pulling the tight ones on and off to setup pinion depth and backlash. Unfortunately mine aren't setup bearings and they are brand new. After toying with the idea of buying an empty Powr-Lok case ($300 new /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) or a Detroit ($500), I opted for a $200 spool. It may be a little difficult to turn, but then so would a locker /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif....

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I cant belive people actually buy setup bearings. We just have old ones that were honed out.

Maybe they sent yuou setup bearings? Check what they should be then, measure the carrier, and bearings, to see if they are incorrect. Oh wait, you dont care cuz you have a spool now, ill take the powr-lock.

12. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I checked the bearings on my old open carrier and they aren't setup bearings...
    Are you serious about wanting the powr-lok?
    I paid $350 for it thinking it was good to go, but give $100 and I'll ship it out tomorrow....