Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carrier preload ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Jul 30, 2001.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I know enough to rebuild a 10 bolt rear end,
    but I was over at my uncles and he's rebuilding
    a 54 Buick. The carrier has play in it. you can
    move it left and right Like the bearings are gone.
    Like there is no preload on the bearings what so
    ever. Could this be right? I dont think so.
    But this thing is pre-historic, but yet similar.
    So I wanted to see if anyone out there has any
    knowledge on this.

I pay ya to work it not jerk it![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

It shouldn't have any side to side play in it. I used to work on the oldies years ago. Can't remember the spec, but we would install shims until we got the play out of it, then adjust the backlash to spec (.008 to .012 If I remember right, after 44 yrs, I've slept and ate a few times since Iv'e done this). But once we got the backlash right, we would pull out a couple of shims and reinstall a combination that was .005 thicker (say if we pulled out a .012, .013, and a .015 from one side, we would re-install a .020 and the .015 and discard the .012 and .013. Do this for bothe sides). I'll check with my dad, he has a 53 Buick and may have the shop manual for it.

3. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Most small rears as in D44 etc. require .015" carrier bearing preload.

Ron

meaning once you have 0 play : side to side, add .015" more shims.

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, this old beast has the same setup as the 14 FF. It has the adjusting screw on the side to set backlash and the preload. But the holes for your tool are on the face of the screw instead of on the side where you would be able to see them. SO my tool for turning the carrier screw wont work here. But I figured that this was not good.
    Also his backlash it pretty loose. Say probably without useing a dial, it feel like a healthy .015 if not more.
    But I know after all these years you dont really want to change the backlash from what the wear pattern has been.
    Im thinking the bearings are all but gone and this is the result. So I think we need to replace the bearings and reset the backlash and pre-load to be at the high end of the specs.

I pay ya to work it not jerk it![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>