Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carrier ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Oct 6, 2000.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I know what the spider gears are and the ring and pinion gears are, but what is the carrier? Keep hearing about the carrier, just wanted to be shure what it is. My rear is on the verge of sh*ting itself and need to know what all the inards are before I start buying "stuff".

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

It's the housing that the spider gears,berings and ring bolt to.So when you swap in a posi or full locker your replacing the whole carrier unit.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

So if I get Powertrax's No-Slip I would in affect be replacing the carrier? Any woe's or yah's on the No-slip?

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I'm not familiar with PowerTrax.
    But products like Dana PowerLock and Auburn Pro Posi are complete carriers (without Ring & Pinion).
    I belive an EZ-Locker would use the stock carrier, you would just replace the 'guts' of your original carrier.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

A Powertrax No-Slip and an EZ-locker do not replace the carrier, they just replace all of the spider gears. An ARB, Detroit locker or Auburn are full-carrier devices, so to install them, you take out the old carrier, remove the ring gear from it and bolt the ring gear to the locker before reinstalling it. To install a No-slip or EZ-locker, you just take out the cross-shaft, slide out the axleshafts a little bit and "drop in" the new traction aiding device. Installing a full-carrier traction aiding device requires "setting up" the ring and pinion gear again, so it is very much more complicated.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700