Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carrying a bat in your truck illigal?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by weisel, Oct 2, 2003.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Carrying a bat in your truck illigal? Unless you carry a baseball glove also? Why would it be when you can carry a firearm in your truck? Dosn't make sense. You can carry a tire thumper, but only as long as it says tire thumper on it, and as long as it dons't have a metal core (or so I was told today by a trucker). Does anyone have any insite on why these laws are around?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I don't know if it's illegal, but from what I've heard cops don't like it very much. I used to carry one in my truck all the time but always had a glove and ball too. Much easier to explain that way.

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have no idea why.. But carry a 6 cell mag lite.. They work great.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Trucker told me that a 6 cell mag is illigal also, got to have 3 or less. But I think he was off on that peice of info.

I was told by a cop who taught a class when I was in highschool that it was illigal about the bat, unless you had a glove with you.

5. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

keep a 1/2 ratchet with a "cheater bar" and put a bike grip on it.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I heard that the 5 and 6 cell maglites need to be registered with the local police department. Guess i'm illegal. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

7. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

what..thats a kinda dumb how bout a can of spray on glue instead of pepper spray

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't think it's constitutional to tell you that you can't carry a baseball bat or a flashlight in your rig. I doubt that it's illegal to have either.

9. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Just pack a new, oak/hickory axe handle with you, easy to explain, gonna replace my axe handle. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have a small club, about 2 feet long with a handle on it inbetween my drivers side door and seat. I won't be removing it. If anyone tries to get in, they'll be sucking it. When I do have my paintball gun going someplace, I keep it by me as well. I already got told before when I posted this that wasn't right, I could hurt someone... and yes I could, they is why I have it there. If you are trying to get in my car while I am in it, I want you to hurt and bad. I have zero sympathy for low lifes....

11. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I carry 2 big Maglites in my truck. They definetely can be used as a good weapon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you are trying to get in my car while I am in it, I want you to hurt and bad. I have zero sympathy for low lifes....

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn right!

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

take out the bat and put a golf club in there then. Quicker recovery time if you miss with that first swing too. If a cop gave me to much trouble about a bat, I think I'd just pull my concealed carry permit. The legal system in this country doesnt make much sense, but most of your average cops would prolly see the silliness of givin you crap about a bat when u have a gun...

j

14. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Carrying a bat in your truck illigal? Unless you carry a baseball glove also? Why would it be when you can carry a firearm in your truck? Dosn't make sense. You can carry a tire thumper, but only as long as it says tire thumper on it, and as long as it dons't have a metal core (or so I was told today by a trucker). Does anyone have any insite on why these laws are around?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would simply call your local police/sheriff department and get the official word. They are usually glad to help and won't ask too many questions if you are appear to genuinely be trying to be as legal as possible.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that AZ is like IN, if you have a conceal carry permit you can carry just about any weapon within reason. I even asked the local police if there was a limit on the size of handgun or amount of ammo you could carry. (I generally have a couple of loaded magazines on me as well...) He told me I could carry an 8" 44 Magnum unconcealed if I really wanted to. Probably would make people uncomfortable but not illegal.

As a general rule, I find it easier to ask forgiveness than permission where my family's safety is concerned. My gun is usually one me, and is never more than a few feet away at all times, with the very rare exception that I need to go to the police station or other places where it is strictly prohibited.

In general I'd say to take the time to make a few phone calls to local authorities and ask them to state the actual law or ordinance so that you can look it up and even carry a copy with you. Ask 10 different officers and you're likely to get 8 different answers.

Paul

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yes, in fact carrying baseball bats are illegal to carry in your vehicle unless you also have at least a glove, and in some areas, a ball and are in the act of going to, or returning home from baseball practice and/or a game.

So because of that, I carry an AK-47 assault rifle with two 30 round magazines, with a round in the chamber 24/7, a bottle of Jack Daniels and a roll of duct tape. Of course I had to register the roll of duct tape with the local cops, but I'm all legal and such and I be ready for any type of malady that may present itself to me..........

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just carry a big crowbar!!!!!

17. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thanks Bubba ,I needed that today.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Lets see, I have a 3' long high lift handle that isnt permanently attached anymore and a crowbar in my truck... If they are worried about a bat I wonder how long until my tire changing tools are illegal to carry in my truck /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

19. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Lets see, I have a 3' long high lift handle that isnt permanently attached anymore and a crowbar in my truck... If they are worried about a bat I wonder how long until my tire changing tools are illegal to carry in my truck /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, it will probably eventually happen. We all know that guns, baseball bats, and pry bars cause crime. Just the other day I was sitting around the garage with a few buddies, just talking, and one of them found my pry bar. He was instantly transformed into a criminal and went on a violent rampage that has not yet ended. If only I had stored that deadly weapon more carefully... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I was once stabbed with a kitchen fork. Why aren't kitchen forks illegal yet? They turn people into criminals!!!

Sorry.

Paul

20. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I would like to carry a croquet stick, its a two in 1!

hammer and a beating stick! I am a small guy so I feel some thing is needed, under my passanger seat I keep a jack and 4 way, the jack handle is with in reach, just need to get a 59 inch high lift then I am leathel /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

How about a 160 db air horn?
    fart spray?
    hot power tranny fluid with a quick disconect to spray them with? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif