Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carrying a Cooler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Might seem like a lame thing to have to ask about, but really I'd like to take a small cooler along when we are gone all day on the trails. How do you all keep them strapped down? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well if it's a close to home trail then I put my tall narrow cooler in my Gerry can rack and use a zip strap (self locking nylon web strap). If I need my 20liter gas and 6 gallon cans with me then I strap them down using the roll cage as anchors. Course I doubt your truck has the stuff mine does /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Ace hard ware sells these really nice spring loaded tiedowns you can bolt to the floor. The spring keeps them from rattling when not in use.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i drilled two 1/2" eye-bolts into the bed and use ratchet straps. kept everything except the veggie plate and chips down going through Frame Twister /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If your just taking the cooler then I use 2 ratchet straps.
    Tilt the back seat up and feed the strap below, drop the seat down and continue feeding the strap thru the seat(between the seat and the back) then you can wrap it around the cooler top to bottom. You can also run one from the armrests on the backseat. Attach the hook to the metal bar on the back of the armrest accross the cooler to the other armrest. This one works really well if your cooler has handles to pass the strap through.
    These work well for the occasional rough ride w/o any modifications.

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

LOL @ Zakk.. Good show!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I just use a ratchet type strap and attach one end to my high lift,and the other to the spare tire. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Loved your fender trimming pics/story! Very well commented. I'm thinking of putting some eye hooks in. I have rear seat passengers, and fasten the dog to the metal handle that you can pull up the seat with. Thanks!

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Got some tie downs from walmart and just put it behind rear seat. one strap for each handle, then connected to the metal arm rests. My cooler is a marine version that has a pretty good latch on it so it cant pop open.

8. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

That's a .... cooooool .... idea - thanks! I'll probably go that route. Oh wait I just ran outside and looked and I have no armrests! How funny. Scottsdale interior. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I found a simple way that really works and keeps it easy to get into. 1st, you can only do this when you take out the back seat. Get a couple eye bolts? ( --O ). I think they had no more than 2"'s of thread so they don't push through the caps under the floor. Put on a nut and a big washer and use the seat bolt-down holes. Now you can set a cooler in the middle and run two tie-downs cris-cross from the eye bolts to the bars behind the seat that lock it down. You can also run a extra strap from each eye bolt through the handle to keep it from coming forward. It really works good, is easy to get into and is Moab/Blazer Bash tested.
    If this doesn't make sence /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, I can post a picture. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Sounds great for the weekends that I don't have the kids with (once a year!) /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

glad you liked it! we will be doing some other jackassery, so if you are in the neighborhood, bring a sixer and join in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif