Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carseat latch system?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigbadchev84, Jun 21, 2006.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

what is the deal with the new carseats these days? with the 3 point latch system and the regular seatbelt? my wife seems to think that our daughter cant ride in a car not set up for the latch system, i dont really think it holds the seat any tighter myself. do you guys think it is really neccesary to use both? i mean both of our cars have the latch system but, my other truck dosent, since our dd's have it i use it, but is it really, necesary?

2. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you can get the seat secured tight enough, I'd venture to say not. None of the vehicles in my fleet have provisions for the latch retaining system, but when I install a car seat into a vehicle, I sit on it while I am adjusting the seatbelt and when I get done the seat doesn't move at all. They are a good thing in that they make it easier in some ways to install the seat securely (which many people have a problem doing), but if you pay attention when installing it in a vehicle without the latch mechanisms, it can be done well enough to be very safe.

I'd be willing to bet that if I installed your seat in my '79 Olds 98 Regency, you're child would probably be just as safe if not safer than in your dd's because it would be installed correctly, very tightly, and she would be surrounded by so much heavy Detroit Iron that it would take a pretty serious situation for her to encounter any damage. Just an opinion, but I think safety is all relative to what they are bolted into. I like BIG.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just use the seatbelt and make sure that its very tight. My DD is set up for the latch system, but it does not seem any better to me.

4. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I agree, both of our vehicles we drive daily do not have the latch system. The car seat is just installed using the seat belt, and I do like was said above and sit on it while I put it in. The seat is securely installed and does not move. My wife even had it inspected and it passed the inspection with flying colors:D

5. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

I have used both latch and belts. The latch is more convenient and easier to get right, but I think it is actually weaker than the regular seatbelt. We have the Britax Marathon. It is rated to something like 65lbs with the seatbelt and 40 pounds with the latch. The latch straps are much smaller but similar material and build as seatbelts.

6. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Ours works better with the latch system than with just the seat belt. Are you putting pressure onto the seat then tightening it? We also just bought the new car seat from Britax and it can have them facing backwards up to 65 LBS and it also has another strap that comes down from the top of the car seat and ties to the seat infront of it. There is NO movement at all when this is hooked up.

7. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

so your saying you can use one or the other? i thought that the whole idea was to use them togeter, the latch and seatbelt? i just think that the latch system is a joke, i can get the seat plenty tight without the latch system

8. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

Yes you can use one or the other. In fact, I am pretty sure it says not to use them together. I will have to check the manual.

With the seat rear facing, the latch was much easier to use and get tight. Now that it is forward facing, the seatbelts are easier to get real tight. Niether of our current cars have the latch system.

Our problem with the carseat in the suburban is that it seems to seperate the seat and really compress the seat springs. When you pull it real tight the bottom of the seat pulls down by at least an inch, leaving a gap between the back of the seat and the bottom. I am looking at solutions. I want new seats.