Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cart for welder and gas cylinder

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by jarheadk5, Mar 1, 2006.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Looking for ideas and pics for a welding cart. I found a few pics while searching (BadDog and jjlaughner), but I'd like to see some others before I start tacking my limited amounts of steel together...

Oh BTW, I bought a 60cf. cylinder of 75/25 today. $115 for the cylinder and first fill, should be like $25 for refills.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I modified a furniture dolly for my welding cart. It's at my buddy's house, maybe I can get him to snap a few pic's and upload them here...

Rene

3. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

I've heard of using old iron bed frames to make inexpensive carts. Just add wheels. Anyway, here are a few I've got pics of. The shopping cart was a member on here. BrandonC maybe? Check out HF or Northern Tool for some under $50. The convenience of a premade one may win out in the end. Then as you go along, customize your cart to suit your needs.

all terrain wedling cart.jpg

all terrain wedling cart2.jpg

shopping cart wedling cart.jpg

4. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

here is the cart I through together for our shop with whatever I could find around the shop. we have alot of steel to choose from. I spaced the bottle away from the welder cause of the fuel line is right in the middle of the welder on the Lincoln. gave me a spot for a cressent wrench for the gage fitting. thic cart rolls so quiet and smooth. will get painted someday.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Exactly where my steel's coming from - an old bed frame. Plus I've got some thin-wall 1" square tube.
    The main wheels will be the wheels from my compressor; about 6" or so diameter. Front wheels will be a pair of casters from Harbor Freight or Lowe's.

Keep the pics coming!

6. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Heres mine I put it on 6" casters!:D

cart.jpg

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Go shopping...

My friend uses an old stainless steel shopping cart to haul his mig welder and its tank around the shop!..he torched a hole in the floor of the basket so the tank would stand up and sit on the bottom "rack",and a hole on the front so he can acess the heat controls and pass the cables thru..I thought it was a great idea,it was found in the swamp next to his shop out in the woods!..it has lots of room for other tools and stuff too..:laugh:

After seeing how cheaply you can buy a "hand truck" now at "Job-Lot" stores or Wal-Mart,I'd say for less than 30 bucks, it would be easy to make one of them into a welding cart ..I saw one at a discount store recently, with pneumatic tires,and a 600 lb rating,you could use as a two wheeler,or convert to a cart,it has casters near the handlebars..it was on sale for 16.99!..:crazy: