Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carter AFB offroad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skelly1, Oct 7, 2005.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

My 72 K20 truck has a BBC with a Carter/Edelbrock carb. It stumbles all to hell when bouncing around, good thing she's got the 4 speed, I guess the SM465 because I can rev the motor to clean it out while the clutch is pushed in. Is there a good off road kit for this carb or should I attempt to change the float level?

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I have struggled with carbs for years offroad, my k5 is doing amazingly well with its edelbrock 1406. All I've done is make sure the float height is correct ( 7/16 inch between float & body,hanging,use a drill bit it's easy that way) install the offroad needle & seat from edelbrock, that made a huge difference on mine, dont hit with too much fuel pressure ( 5-6 Lb.s) use a fuel filter and change it often, I have never seen carbs that are more sensitive to even a tiny speck of dirt and lastly take the time to really dial in the tuning on it. Along with the right rod's - jets those step up springs really make a difference also. Try this stuff, I romp my blazer hard and have no complaints with it's driveability. e-mail me if you need more help. Cary.

3. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I dont have any solutions here but I ran a carter AFB on my crap/trail/beater/farm truck and if I tried to let it sit on any kind of a hill for any length of time at all it would start to crap out on me untill I nailed the throttle.

Put a quadrajet on that sucker as soon as I could and viola... problem solved.

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Definatelly get the off-road needle and seat. Will make a world of difference. Make sure its all adjusted right. If your still having problems look into a rebuilt Q-Jet or something like the Holley Truck Avenger.

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

OK that brings me to a question; does edelbrock make a q-jet style carb and if so what is it called?

I have the 1405 and need a rebuild and elec. choke added so I'm trying to decide whether to do the 1405 or one of the couple of q-jets I have laying around, or even go with something brand new.

Sorry for the hijack.

6. trailblazr81

7. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Spring loaded needle and seat

Ditto for the spring loaded inlet valve. There are a few url's on how to modify the fuel bowls in a carter/edelbrock by inserting some hose length internally.

I'm running a holley 3310-1 with spring loaded needles and whistle fuel bowl baffles. I've had no issues so far with relatively steep hill climbs and off camber trails.

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Hey thanks alot for the links, that article was great! I think after that I'll just be rebuilding the Q-jet. It'll be easier anyway since it's not on the engine already and I've been driving the K5.

Now I just need to find out if they make a elec. choke kit for it.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I love AFB's,but...

I'm a fan of Carter AFB's and Edelbrock clones of it--but I don't think they are much good off road,or in "off camber" situations..I had a hard time plowing with one,every time I'd climb a snowbank it would start flooding and stalling out..I suppose the "off road" kit MIGHT help some,but from what I've read here most of the time it doesn't help all that much...I'd stick with a Q-jet if you plan on wheeling it--the AFB is a great street carb (unless you live where there are lots of hills like San Fransisco!)..sometimes the factory stuff cant be beat.. :crazy:

10. trailblazr81

Now how do I make a Barry Grant Speed Demon into a better Off-Road carb?? :thinking: I payed $400+ for this thing and dont want to just chunk it!!
    :haha: :haha: :haha:

11. theperfectgarage

carb stuff

Hey Rico, you swamper smoken son of a gun, you sound pretty sharp. I'll stick w/ my story on edelbrocks off road, but having said that Ithink the edel q-jet the best overall ( 4wheeldrive & offroad agree) carb offroad value. But, at the price of a new one you only have to save a little longer and you can go tbi conversion.

12. theperfectgarage

call B G tech help.

13. trailblazr81

I used to could run an Edelbrock Q-Jet, Tho is for 80's smogger motor. Guess I could just plug all the ports shine er up and run it. It raplaced a tired OEM and then a Edelbrock Performer 600 cfm.
    Fuelie is something I would like to do but I wouldnt want to spend alot of money. And Holley told me my cam was too much for they're kit. They said Id have to yank my 236 @ .050 cam for something around 220.

Maybe its just because Im in Cali. but Ive played with 6 different motors with carbs and havent used a choke yet. Well I did once but it was electric and I fried it while wiring it up... Don't ask. :haha:

14. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

My edelbrock 1406 has done a great job in all but the steepest hills. I have installed the offroad needles/seats and adjusted the floats carefully. I also run a holley red electric fuel pump. I have not rejetted, but have 1 size smaller waiting on the work bench...

15. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

I put the off road kit in my 1406 and it really didnt help that much, when my K5 is all back together its getting a 470 truck avenger.

16. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

I also have the 1406 and it was crappy. But like others before me have said, the off-road kit, corrected float level and good tuning are the key to making this carb a performer, it was a night and day difference for me. I am very happy with mine and no longer have problems except on the steepest of inclines.